Monday, April 4, 2011

Guided Reading


I L.O.V.E. my guided reading time! It is by far my favorite time of the day. There are rough parts, like keeping my kids from coming over and wanting to talk to me or ask me a question, but I love listening to them read in small groups. We get to talk about the books and practice difficult words. We focus on fluency and intonation. We play reading games that they don't quite realize is learning or assessment. ☺

I have five groups that I work with throughout the week. I meet with my top group 2-4 times a week because they do so well on their own. I am working on doing more literature group type stuff with them. As I said before, I am new to 2nd grade and still working things out.

Earlier this year I was searching the internet for good reminders to post at my guided reading table. I found these:





I taped page protectors to my guided reading table and slipped these inside. We refer to them as needed. Just to clarify one more time, I didn't make these. I found them through the internet. I believe I was on the Second Grade Teacher's Club website. That is a great blog for sharing ideas, by the way.

My school bought bank bags a few years ago with our school name on them. We use them as our take home "Book Bags." I give the kids leveled books to take home and read every week. It is difficult to remember to do this, but I am getting better at it. For some of my students, these are the only books they read at home. For others, it is just wishful thinking on my part that they are reading at all. I encourage them to read every night. Here are two things I have tried so far for  documentation of their reading.

I made this and it stayed in their book bags with their books. They were to fill it in each night. Most of them did a great job, but it always seems like the kids who would benefit the most, don't participate.



Lately I have been giving them post its and asking them to make connections in their books or writing questions. I was trying to kill two birds with one stone.  :) They love post it notes! So... most of the kids participated in this. I found another great thing over Spring Break and I implemented it last week. I offered the student who read the most a prize. I was kind of sad that only a few made it the entire week, but after I handed out the prizes today, I am hoping more will participate this week. Once again, I didn't make this and it is not my idea, just a great thing I found on the internet! Thank you Mrs. Stamp for sharing!



I would love to hear what other teachers are doing to encourage their students to read. I love reading in my "spare" time, so I want to pass that on the my students. I heard about a fun idea called Flashlight Fridays. The kids bring a flashlight on Friday and get to read in the dark. I am going to try it this week!

3 comments :

Tiggeriffic 2nd Graders said...

I like the clocks! I do a reading homework where whoever they read to, signs a calendar on their homework envelope. I use a reward system that starts out with like the prize box, then special prizes, then onto an edible reward. My kids are required to read 15 mins M-Th and on Friday they are rewarded. The edible reward works like this...they each earn their treat. For example I do banana splits this last quarter of school. For each week they do all their reading, they earn a piece of the treat--it starts with dish, spoon, 1 scoop of vanilla, then chocolate, strawberry, whipped cream, chocolate syrup and a cherry--It last 8 weeks but then we have a celebration and they get what they earn--if they only earn a dish and spoon and one scoop of vanilla, that's all they get. I use a bulletin board where I put up what they have so they can see how they are doing. It seems to help some kiddos. Also I did another edible on for 3rd quarter and then we celebrated, those who didn't read often miss out and realize they don't want to the next time. You could always do it so many mins a week or so many nights a week. (I'll try to post pictures of my banana split bulletin board soon)

Mrs. Morris said...

I LOVE that idea! I am going to work that in for this last six weeks of school. Thanks for sharing!

Tiggeriffic 2nd Graders said...

Hey--I posted my reading homework and rewards for my Reading homework on my blog. Thought maybe some pictures would help give you a visual (I'm a visual person :)

http://tiggerific2ndgraders.blogspot.com/2011/04/star-readers.html#comments

http://tiggerific2ndgraders.blogspot.com/2011/04/reading-homework-rewards.html

Post a Comment