Sunday, May 1, 2011

Phonics

I have noticed that my students really need more phonics exposure. They get stumped on even "easy" sounds. I am astounded that some of my kids don't know that vowels have 2 sounds. They can't readily produce both sounds. I feel that the push to read so early is taking from them the time to really cement their phonics knowledge.

When I was teaching Pre-K, I was trained in Tucker Signing. It is a great tool for teaching phonics. There are hand signs to go with each sign. I found this awesome website for flashcards. I am going to use them to talk about and practice different parts of words. I am hoping that it will help my student decode more quickly.

It is late in the year to be starting something new, but I want them to get at least a little of this. I will start this at the beginning of next year.

To find the flashcards, just click on the links on the left side of the page. There are flashcards, games, and worksheets.


1 comments :

Peterson's Primary Peeps said...

I love these thank you so much for posting this!

Post a Comment