Thursday, July 14, 2011

Author of the Month

So with all my blog stalking I have found some wonderful resources. I see that several teacher feature an author a month. I really like this idea. Last year we had Marc Brown, the author of the Arthur books and PBS series, come to our school. He was wonderful and the students had a great connection to his books.

I want to help my students feel that connection to other authors. My plan at the moment will be to set up an area with shelves where I can display as many of the books by that author as possible. They will be available for the kids to read and look at. I will do several read alouds and we will discuss their work. I will probably tie it to the curriculum, I will have to see how it goes. I might be changing the order, which is no big deal. We will also be visiting their websites. All the authors I chose have really great websites that tell about their lives and their books.

This is the page I will display with all the books, probably in a page protector.
Author of the Month

These pages are just for teacher resource. It has the authors website and some examples of their work.
Monthly Author Studies

6 comments :

Just4Teachers said...

I've never done "Author of the Month"...except for March when I spend the whole month celebrating Dr. Seuss. This sounds like fun. And you gave me an idea.... since I love poetry.... instead of an author, I could do a Poet. Thank you for the inspiration!!! Hugs! Oh, I love your blog...I've been a follower for awhile (since I discovered I was going to 2nd grade with my kiddies!) Thank you again, Becca!

Debi
Just 4 Teachers: Sharing Across Borders

amy.lemons said...

Super Cute! Thanks for sharing!
Amy
http://stepintosecondgrade.blogspot.com

Mrs. Morris said...

Thanks guys! I follow both of you, too!

Anonymous said...

Hey Becca!
You should make Dr. Seuss the month of March because that is when Read Across America/Dr. Seuss' birthday is. Love, love, love this author study a month thing! ~nicole

Lindsay :) said...

Thanks for sharing! I can't wait to use these this year! Plus, this gives me an excuse to buy more books for my classroom. :)

Sarah Adams said...

I think I am going to try Author of the Month this year! Thanks for the inspiration! I'll definitely be hitting up our public library for some books!
Sarah
http://californiaenglishteacher.blogspot.com/

Post a Comment