Sunday, July 24, 2011

New (School) Year's Resolutions

A great blog is hosting a linky party. The Clutter-Free Classroom is asking us to share our goals for the coming year.


1. Journals
I am on a mission to use less paper this year. We are going to use our journals to their maximum potential. I plan on introducing foldables to my students the very first week. We are also going to try out using a journal for homework. I hate copying pages for homework. This year we are going to TRY (and I hope it works) copying down our homework and then doing it at home. I will share more about that as the year starts. Check out my post about my planning journal.
2. New Student Kit
We get new students all year long. Last year I was not really prepared for new students. I would rush to get their desk in place and then... It was so frustrating to disrupt our morning that way, but this year I am going to have a new outlook. I am going to have a New Student Kit (thank you Ladybug Teacher Files for the awesome idea!) that I can pull from whenever a new student arrives. I will be putting extra things from the beginning of the year so it will be ready. When it is prepared I will share it!
Picture from Ladybug's Teacher Files

3. Share my love of reading
I am reading The Book Whisperer right now and loving it! It is really inspiring me to do more with reading in my classroom. I LOVE to read, but I am not sure that I really share that. It seems like we get bogged down in the mechanics and assessment of reading. That is going to change this year.

4. Make good use of time
I was horrible last year about staying at school late and being their early every day. It was my first year in the grade, building, and district, but I spent too much time at school. I really want to be home by 4:30 most days.  I am hoping that by being more organized and with all the work I have done this summer, that I won't feel like I need to stay late all the time. I am also going to work on using the time during the day better. We are going to have musical transitions that I am really excited about. Music makes everything better! I am also going to try out Whole Brain Teaching this year. Check it out!

7 comments :

Tiggeriffic 2nd Graders said...

I really like your goal for using less paper! I want to use journals for my math work stations but still not sure how it will go. We also have tons of kids coming and going throughout the year and one of my co-teachers started a new student bin and I thought "Wow! what a great idea!" So I started one last year too! Good luck with your goals!
Stacee

Sherrie said...

Great goals. I am very intrigued by the Whole Brain teaching and would like to try it out in my classroom. I am sure the kids would love it.

Cindy said...

Great goals. I have had a New student bin in the past but didn't do it last year and re-gret-ed it! This year I want to do it again. Thanks for the reminder!

Lindsey said...

I felt like I was reading something I wrote about myself...well, with the exception of being at school so late. I have vowed to spend MORE time at school this year because I spent way too much home time doing school stuff. Anyway, I think these are great goals! I too am going to attempt the homework journal. I have shared this with a colleague and we are both going to give it a go! I was completely lost by the video though...Good luck to you!!!

Hope King said...

Such great ideas! Thanks for sharing! Good luck to you this year!

Hope King
http://www.shenanigansinsecond.blogspot.com

Jill said...

I forgot about Whole Brain Teaching! I was thinking about doing that this year, too.

Marvelous Multiagers!

Susie said...

I used whole brain teaching in my classroom last year and LOVED it! It works! When they had learned all the rules, all I would have to do is say Rule #1 (or 2,3, etc) and they would recite the rule on the spot. Genius idea management system. I didn't have to go much further than the basic part of the program (thankfully). Thank you for sharing all of your great ideas!

Susie
www.crafty-bug-susie.blogspot.com

Post a Comment