Saturday, July 9, 2011

Reading Street Texas Edition

Last year was our first year with our new reading adoption. It was very overwhelming because of the amount of materials. There were boxes and boxes delivered to our rooms. A good and bad thing. =)

Now I have had time to sift through all the materials and go to a class that showed me what we really have available and how to use it. We also have access to the digital path and there are amazing resources there as well.

The First Stop is something I am going to take some time with. I didn't really understand why we had this last year, but now I know I need to really get into it.

I will be taking a look at the New Literacies and other resources in this. Our literacy facilitator said this should be our "First Stop." Weird, huh?

I did get into the online resources this past year. I am going to be integrating those on a regular basis this coming year.

The kids love it. There are concept videos, grammar jammers, online versions of our books, and animated strategies.

It also has the Amazing Words within the videos, so it gives them another way to see and hear those vocabulary words.

All my students will have their own login and password and I will be "assigning" them different activities.

I am not sure how much they will use this on their own because of our many, many, many resources. I am thinking that I am going to make a login for the class to use on the Promethean board as a station.

This will be just another fun thing to do there. Plus we will use many of these whole group.

The grammar jammers are awesome! They really get stuck in your head and the kids think they are hilarious and will sing them all day.

Something I am going to love are the 10 Important Sentences. Each story has 10 Important Sentences. Here are just some of the activities we will be doing:

  • Locate the sentences in the stories
  • Fact and Opinion
  • Cause and Effect
  • Main Idea and Supporting Details
  • Who did what, when, where, and why
  • Sequence
I am very excited for this year. Our online curriculum will be guiding us through the adoption. I think the kids will really get a lot out of it. The stories are really good. I also like the decodable readers. The students kept them in their desks last year. They were easy reads and short, so they were really empowered to do them on their own.

We also got guided reading sets of books for below, on, and above level students. They are amazing color paperback books. Plus there are concept readers and ELL books. We have millions of resources. Very lucky. We also have access to all the leveled readers from K-6 on the digital path. Awesome, right?

Does anyone else have Reading Street? What do you think?

6 comments :

Vintage Teacher said...

We started with Reading Street last year also. I think overwhelming is the best word for all the "stuff" you get. Our training was one day and was not what we needed for the grade level I was teaching. We are a levelized district so just getting everyone tested and placed in the right level was a feat in itself. I really liked the little books on the different levels. My students that weren't in my Reading Class liked to read them.

Georgeanne said...

I use Reading Street. How do I get to First Stop? I don't see it on successnet. Check out this site for smartboard.
http://filehive.wikispaces.com/2ndReading

Georgeanne said...

How do I get to First Stop? I don't see it on successnet. Check out this site if you have a smartboard.
http://filehive.wikispaces.com/2ndReading

Mrs. Morris said...

I don't think the First Stop is available online. You have to order it separately or maybe ask your principal. Maybe you only got one per grade level or something. I will check out that website. Thanks!

Fitbecky said...

Wow! I just discovered your blog! I am in the same boat. We just started Reading Street in NM last year too. We felt overwhelmed too and frustrated that 10 of our stories weren't the same as the previous Reading Street that everyone else has. I have recently created a blog and am putting all of the activities that we are going to use on the blog.
Becky
http://ep2ndgraderocks.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Is it possible you could post your schedule during ELAR for each day? If I followed it to the T, I would literally be doing reading street all day. Even cutting out the listening and research skills, I still can't cover everything with a 1 1/2 hour block!

Post a Comment