Thursday, July 7, 2011

Spelling hopscotch

At the beginning of the summer the faculty of my school went to a staff development with Dr. Rich Allen. He was great! I am super excited about 4 things he showed us.

1. Playlists for classroom transitions and background music
2. Memorization techniques
3. WordToons
4. Spelling Hopscotch

Playlists:  I am so excited about this! I have major plans. Check out my post about this.


Memorization Techniques: He taught us about the memory pegs and I was blown away! So cool!


WordToons: My principal was nice enough to buy the school license for us.

I can't wait to share it with my kids. They are going to love it.

Check it out! Click on the picture and make sure you go to the videos tab!

Spelling Hopscotch: This is going to be an amazing spelling tool. I can't wait to use it. The best thing about it is: easy to change it up.

Supplies:
-shower curtain
-printed letters
-page protectors
-clear packing tape

Here are the steps:
1. Print off the letters and cut the papers in half (there are 2 letters a page)

2. Cut the page protectors in half. I folded them over to make a crease and then cut along the crease.

3. Put the letters in the page protectors.

4. Decide the order of the letters. I started in the middle with the most common letters (r, s, t, l, n, e - thank you Wheel of Fortune!)

5. Once the letters are all arranged on the shower curtain get out the tape.

6. I made sure I taped them on the under side. Also only tape one side or just the top and bottom so you can change out the paper for letters or pictures.


Here is an important point: This is going to be a group activity. One person will jump out the word while the other kids stand along the edges, holding the shower curtain in place. I will explain that it is important that we anchor the board or someone might get hurt.

So is that clear as mud? I bet you can figure it out! I can't wait to use it this year! It is going to be a weekly activity at least.

Spelling Hopscotch

20 comments :

TeachingandLearning said...

I love the hopsotch idea! Although I am nervous the thing will slip out from under the munchkins while they are jumping. They can be a little bit rough sometimes...

Katie said...

love love love the hopscotch acvtity!

Mrs. Morris said...

So sorry I didn't add my plan for that! I reposted with that info. I am going to have one kid jump the word while the other kids stand along the edges to hold it down.

Katie said...

I was thinking you could do this for math too. The kids could jump on multiples or doubles. you could even do like problems that equal a certain number...hmmm...my brain is turning! :)

Mrs. Morris said...

Yes you could do all kinds of things. The presenter said the original teachers made a hundreds chart too. Originally this was done with Sharpie on the floor. Yikes! Not possible at my school!

Mrs. Shepherd said...

Wow I love that! I think I'm going to print numbers too so we can work on doubles. Thank you so much for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Love this idea of hopscotch. Follow my blog I'm new to all this and having a linky party prayteachlove.blogspot.com

Mrs. Morris said...

I follow prayteachlove! Isn't blogging wonderful?

Megan Duarte said...

What a great idea...I'm to much of a control freak to let my kids do this without me there to supervise, but what a fun activity for Fun Friday Time or something...thanks for sharing.
-Megan
www.primaryfilefoldergames.blogspot.com

Claire said...

Lovely idea!
I have used hopscotches in the past with my class and instead of printing letters and having a mat (I am scared they slip), I just use masking tape to form the letters and squares directly onto the carpet. It works pretty well too.

Claire
http://misstoffeesclass.blogspot.com

Nicole said...

So glad I found you! I just saw Dr. Allen present today and shared your design in my post. I can't wait to make one!

Nicole
The Kinder Kid

Mrs. Schroeder said...

I am such a sucker for anything that is spelling or word study related. I am so excited that I found your post because I have not used any of these ideas. They are going to be so much fun to try out! I love using technology in class so WordToons is a perfect way to keep it rolling. We usually use Spelling City during our spelling centers. My kiddos love it! Wordtoons will be another great option. Thanks for sharing!
The Schroeder Page

Anonymous said...

I just had an idea after reading your blog. What about a floor decal hopscotch. I am going to look into it. Wish me luck!

Becca Morris said...

I would love to have a floor decal. Let me know if that words out. Leave your name next time!!!

Aimee Fuller said...

Have you seen Ron Nash? He is awesome and has a similar spelling hopscotch idea. He used research to design the letter layout so you never have to change it. Not sure how it works out. I BEGGED my administrator to let us paint the playground last year and it never happened. Now, thanks to you, I can do it in my room and nobody will complain! http://www.ronnashandassociates.com/free_stuff.asp#

Anonymous said...

I usually write out the letters with chalk but then I need to wash the slab to rearrange. I love this so much better and weather is not in control either. Lol

Quirky Momma said...

I am doing a round-up of spelling activities on my blog, Kids Activities Blog. I hope to feature one of your posts, describe how the activity can help kids spell, link to you and invite our readers to check out your blog and (if we have space for all of them) include a thumbnail of one of your images.
If you are NOT interested in being part of our round up please let me know 

Thanks for creating terrific content!!

Rachel Miller
Http://kidsactivitiesblog.com

Suzy Homeschooler said...

I know this post is abit old but I came across it on Pinterest about a month ago and was inspired to make a similar activity for my son. He *LOVES* it! Thank you so much for sharing.

http://suzyhomeschooler.wordpress.com/2013/03/07/how-can-i-teach-my-son-to-read-when-he-wont-sit-still/

Jason Whitaker said...

I know that I'm tardy to the party, but I LIKE this game! Thanks so much for sharing. I can't wait to get my students ready to play.

Scribble Doodle and Draw said...

Great idea!

Post a Comment