At the beginning of the summer the faculty of my school went to a staff development with Dr. Rich Allen. He was great! I am super excited about 4 things he showed us.
1. Playlists for classroom transitions and background music
2. Memorization techniques
4. Spelling Hopscotch
Playlists: I am so excited about this! I have major plans. Check out my post about this.
Memorization Techniques: He taught us about the memory pegs and I was blown away! So cool!
WordToons: My principal was nice enough to buy the school license for us.
I can't wait to share it with my kids. They are going to love it.
Check it out! Click on the picture and make sure you go to the videos tab!
Spelling Hopscotch: This is going to be an amazing spelling tool. I can't wait to use it. The best thing about it is: easy to change it up.
-clear packing tape
Here are the steps:
1. Print off the letters and cut the papers in half (there are 2 letters a page)
2. Cut the page protectors in half. I folded them over to make a crease and then cut along the crease.
3. Put the letters in the page protectors.
4. Decide the order of the letters. I started in the middle with the most common letters (r, s, t, l, n, e - thank you Wheel of Fortune!)
5. Once the letters are all arranged on the shower curtain get out the tape.
6. I made sure I taped them on the under side. Also only tape one side or just the top and bottom so you can change out the paper for letters or pictures.
Here is an important point: This is going to be a group activity. One person will jump out the word while the other kids stand along the edges, holding the shower curtain in place. I will explain that it is important that we anchor the board or someone might get hurt.
So is that clear as mud? I bet you can figure it out! I can't wait to use it this year! It is going to be a weekly activity at least.