Monday, July 4, 2011

Super Spelling Ideas

Hello! Happy 4th of July!

I am linking up with TBA to share some of my spelling ideas. None of them are original, but I like to share. ☺

Promethean Board: I make a flipchart for the week's spelling words. Two kids per day (last year) and up to six kids (this year) will be using the Promethean Board during literacy stations. They must work through the spelling activities before they can make their own pages.

Spelling box: I put together a small tub with 3 cookie sheets, magnetic letters, play-doh, and shaving cream.

Every week we add the spelling list. The kids really liked doing this as a station.

I could also see a difference in some of the developing spellers.

Spelling Dictionary: I saw this idea on someone's blog. She made a spelling dictionary and I thought it was a great idea. I made one and I am excited to start using it.

We will copy our words in the back and then they will copy the words onto the correct page. I want it to be a resource for when they are writing. Something they can refer to when they are not sure how to spell a word.
Spelling Dictionary

8 comments :

Courtney said...

Thanks for the ideas. I always have a hard time making spelling fun.

Courtney
http://swimmingintosecond.blogspot.com/

Tamara L. Chilver said...

Wow! What terrific ideas! Thanks for sharing! ☺

Teaching Blog Addict

Mel D said...

Wow! I love the spelling dictionary! I am putting a writing binder together for my firsties & I just love this!
I am a new follower thanks to this linky party! Stop by & check out my 200 follower giveaway!
Peace, Mel D
Oh the Places We’ll Go

Carolee said...

Thanks for the great spelling ideas! It is great to find a second grade blog, they seem to be far and few between!! I am a new follower:)

Nina said...

Love these ideas! I've been looking for some word work and spelling activities for my promethean board. I use activinspire, but havent really gotten the hang of how to use it very well yet! How do you use it for spelling? Do you have any flipcharts saved? Thanks!! Love your blog!

http://firstgradewizards.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

For the spelling box...how do you hold the kids accountable for the work they do during center time?

Mrs. Morris said...

It is really amazing, but they really do a good job. I have to come down hard on the first few who play around, but after that they police each other. They enjoy the independent time.

Ang said...

I love to use the website, SpellingCity.com. PERFECT way to practice spelling words and vocabulary words. :)

Post a Comment