Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Classroom Update and Author of the Month

Are you ready for some awesomeness?

I did some fun stuff in my classroom today. Here a few pictures:






My 3 favorite things right now:

 I really didn't like my door last year. It is just ugly. I posted a few things on it as the year went on, but I wasn't happy with it.

I love it now! The two square pieces of scrapbook paper are for posting the newsletter and spelling words.

I didn't have the double sided tape with me. Tomorrow I will add the page protectors and papers to finish it off.

I am not sure what I will be putting on the bottom, but I am sure it will come to me as the year starts.









So I had blogged about my first attempt at a spelling hopscotch. I really liked my first attempt on a shower curtain, but my cat had other plans.

I was very upset when he ruined it, but it made it possible to copy what another teacher in my building did for her room.

We have different takes on it, but basically the punch out letters are glued onto black paper. The black paper was then inserted into a page protector. I arranged them on the floor and taped them down with clear packing tape. Last I added the red duck tape to make it look pretty!

I think it will be a great addition to my room this year!





This I worked on this evening. I LOVE it so much. I wanted to focus on an author every month this year. We had Marc Brown, the author of the Arthur series, come to our school last year and it gave us a new perspective on his books. There is something special about reading books when you know details about the author. I can't wait to see if it will change how we think of some of our books. I will be adding this to my library tomorrow!!!

11 comments :

Susie said...

I LOVE your author of the month tri-fold. What a fantastic idea! You've just inspired me to try and accomplish this task before school starts. :-) Thank you for sharing this idea!

Susie
crafty-bug-susie.blogspot.com

Tarita said...

Hop Scotch Spelling!?! Never heard of it, but I'm totally sold! I love it, and yours looks great. I also love the door. Black and white makes it look very chic. Thanks for sharing.

Teresa said...

I love, love, love the author board! I've been wanting to do something like that for a couple of years. Now I have an example of what I was thinking of!!

Thanks for sharing!
Teresa
http://thevogelgesangsteaching.blogspot.com/

Down Under Teacher said...

I wish I didn't have carpet on my floors so I could do Hopscotch spelling! I'm inspired to make my own Author of the Month tri-fold. Absolutely love it!

Kylie
Down Under Teacher

laughinbrunette (Jennifer) said...

OK, the polka dot shelf is too cute!! IS that contact paper?? I love it!
Jennifer
First Grade Blue SKies

Paula Rushia said...

I love the hopscotch spelling. Did you set it up so you can change the letters? If yes, how? Thanks.

Inspired Writing Teacher said...

I've already got my 1st "Author of the Month" picked out - lol. I love the tri-fold and will "steal" this idea, if that's ok. Thanks for the inspiration! Your room looks AWESOME!!

=)Beth
http://inspiredwritingteacher.blogspot.com/

Mrs. Morris said...

@Jennifer: The polka dots are wrapping paper!

@Paula: Unfortunately I can't change the letters without pulling up the duck tape. That might happen by Christmas anyway because it probably won't look nice by then.

Thanks for the nice comments!

Amanda said...

I'm in love with the author of the month board. Honestly, I have no idea where I will set that up in my classroom, but I will find a place. Thanks for the inspiration and sharing!! :)
~Amanda
The Teaching Thief

Mrs. Morris said...

@Amanda: The great thing about using a display board is that it will fold flat and you can store it somewhere. I love that it is portable. I will be able to bring it to the front of the room or elsewhere when we have a new author.

Marisa said...

I love your "Author of the Month" board! I made a poster for my first author, Shel Silverstein. After that, I'm going to turn it over to my students. I'm making one of my class jobs called, "Poster Posse." 2-3 students will work together to pick an author and create a poster (with my guidance!). This is my first time trying this-- hope it works!

Marisa
iDream.iPlan.iTeach

Post a Comment