Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Exciting News!!!!

So....

I am going to be one of the authors of 


This is going to be epic! I can't wait to share and learn from all the wonderful and creative 2nd grade teachers out there! Go on over and become a follower so you can keep up with the awesomeness.

Classroom Update:

 This is my magnificent phonics dance board.

I am really happy that I had the chance to go to her workshop last week.

I can't wait to see how it works for us this year!

The cards are grouped by like sounds and placed on a "home" or colored backing.

The colored paper is taped to the board and the cards are stuck to the paper with a velcro dot.

We will start the year with a blank board and add about 2 a week until we know all of them!


Well, you can't see it here, but I have updated with my word wall with velcro strips. I used black velcro strips in a vertical line under each letter.

Then I attached a velcro dot to the back of each word wall word. That way it is easier to update it every week. My words are ready for the entire year!

Last year I really dropped the ball with my word wall, so I am resolved to do better this year.

I am also excited about having my math resources (middle and bottom levels) our of drawers and cabinets. I really want to focus on using these materials for maximum learning.

The top level is for my guided reading materials. I am planning on having my books and other resources sitting out here. 

Last year I seemed to be doing a lot of scrambling for resources. I am trying to cut that out of my day this year.


5 comments :

Mrs. McCumbee said...

Becca, I love the Phonics Dance. I hope you will post more about what you learned.
mrsmccumbeesclass.blogspot.com

Mrs. Goodwin said...

Been seeing lots about the phonics dance. Could you give me some idea of what would be good to purchase to know how to do it? Would the CD and phonics card have enough explanation to help me know how to do it? Buying it all is kind of expensive but would love to try this in my second grade classroom this next year. amsgoodwin@gmail.com thanks

Alisha Stevens said...

Mrs. Goodwin asked the same things I was going to ask! Anxious to hear about the phonics dance. I think I want to try it this year, too!
Alisha
http://stevensseconds.blogspot.com/

sydney said...

Okay, what kind of velcro did these phonics cards get attached with?
And on your word wall was the velcro attached to a fabric black background, or paper? I'm so curious cause last year I had a trailer and nothing ever worked, not even velcro!
Lessons Learned

abby said...

Becca, I just received my Phonics Dance manual and CD in the mail. I am going to start going through it later today and tomorrow (and hope to post about it soon). But, since you went to the workshop, I would love to hear more about how you plan to use it in your room. Does it replace what you were doing last year? Does your school have a basal? I'm sure some of my questions will be answered once I read the manual, but I'd love to hear your ideas :)

Abby

msalleysclass.blogspot.com
abby3131@gmail.com

Post a Comment