Sunday, August 7, 2011

Top 3 Things Linky Party

Linky Party!

I want to know what you are going to focus on in your classroom this year. Phonics, writing, problem solving, classroom management, etc. I know we try to do more than 3  new things in a year, but let's just share our top 3. You can do more if you are an overachiever!

Copy this button in your post!








Simply 2nd Resources


1. Word Wall - I am going to really focus on improving my word wall instruction this year. Last year it was not something I was proud of. I have done a lot of prep work this summer so that I will be able to utilize my word wall. 

Photobucket







I put a long strip of velcro under each letter vertically and a velcro dot on the back of all my words. I have ALL my word wall words ready for the year. YES! I feel awesome about that! Plus I have Ginny Dowd's word wall chants and games to help me make our wall interactive this year. I can't wait!

2. Reading - I think I am a pretty good reading teacher, but I am seeing things differently after reading The Book Whisperer this summer. I learned some things about myself as a teacher. I am a huge reader, but I wasn't doing a great job of sharing that with my students. I really focused on the mechanics and amount of time spent reading. This year I am going to share my enthusiasm and love for books. I am going to have a author of the month board to showcase great writers because if you know about the author, it changes how you read the book. The kids are going to have their book boxes at their desks this year so they can read during every spare moment. I am working on reorganizing and leveling my classroom library to make it more user friendly. I can't wait to share with my class this year!

3. Everyday Flipchart - I have also been making improvements to my daily flipchart. At the beginning of last year I was making PowerPoint presentations for every day. Then I changed over to Promethean flipcharts to make it more interactive. This summer I decided I wanted to do even more. Here are some screen shots of my flipchart.

This is the main page. Each square links to the correct page.






This will be a very quick part of the flipchart. I want them to be aware of
what day it is, upcoming holidays, and events.
I love this clock. You can manipulate the hands! We will be really
working with this.
The tens rod and cube are drag a copy, so you can have as many as you want!
Same thing here--add drag a copy!

I am hoping to do this with containers. Measurement is so hard to teach,
so I am going to start it at the beginning and to it as many different
ways as possible throughout the year.

Addition practice with a tens frame to help us!

Subtraction with a number line for counting back.

Another measurement page. We will decide what to measure and with what.
For example, measure your desk in crayons. I want us to have plenty of
practice with nonstandard measurement. 
I love these reveal tools. The words are hidden until we drag the picture
over it. This is for our word wall words.


These are our spelling words. Each slide for the week is different.
More fun reveal tools for our Fry's phrases!

I can't wait to see your three things!

19 comments :

Carol said...

I'm so impressed by this! I just got a smartboard half-way thru the year last year. Had very little training on it so I'm doing most ot the learning on my own. What resources are you using to make your slides?

Mrs. Schoenwalder said...

I love your smartboard slides! How did you make them?

Mrs. Morris said...

I just use the Promethean software that comes with the boards. I downloaded resource packs from Promethean Planet so I have all the cool reveal tools. Really with their software you can create anything you want.

Teach Love said...

Thanks for the great prompt! BTW...Your post button link code is not working, so I just copied the button image and linked it instead.

Hopping Into First Grade said...

I LOVE your "cover page" for the day! I, too, use my Promethean all day. I find myself opening a billion pages and then never being able to find what I want quickly. I wish there was a way we could share Promethean items on blogs!

Thanks for the great ideas!

Christine

http://hoppingintofirstgrade.blogspot.com/

Mrs. Morris said...

Christine: leave a comment with your email and I will send you the Promethean files!

Hopping Into First Grade said...

That would be awesome and save tons of time! My email is cngreen@frontiernet.net. Thank you so much for sharing!!!

Christine

TinkTeacher21 said...

Could you please send me the promethean files too! Thanks! sunshine121c@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

Would you be so kind to send me the promethean files as well? Many thanks!
camila.blumberg@gmail.com

Katie said...

Do you mind sending me a copy of your files? They look awesome!
kthamilton321@gmail.com

Beth said...

I would love a copy of the files as well if you don't mind?
southrngrl1014@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

I would also love the files. They are awesome!!! Great job!

tomian313 said...

I LOVE your blog!!! Would you mind sending me your Promethan files? Thanks in advance: tomian313@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

While you are sending files, Can I have a copy too? They look great!
joplumbing@hotmail.com

Kimberly said...

Can I please get a copy? They look awesome and I'm excited to try them in my classroom. My email address is watcsimms@hotmail.com.
Thanks!

The Amazing Classroom Blog said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Amazing Classroom Blog said...

Hi There! Love your blog. I am a new follower. I have a bunch of ActivInspire tutorials on my blog and there is one on containers too. I also have some video tutorials, flipcharts, and backgrounds. Let me know if you need any help with flipchart making. In fact, those are my pull tabs that you used in your flipchart. I made them and created a resource pack to put on Planet. Glad to see them being put to use!

Kelly Bentley said...

Hi! Do you think you will ever put this on TPT? I absolutely love it!!

Anonymous said...

Mrs Morris

Could you please send me the file?
klewis@ssc.qld.edu.au

:)

Post a Comment