Monday, September 12, 2011

An Ambitious Goal

The year is in full swing and I have finished a round of testing. I used the DRA2 to determine my students reading levels, the ISIP to determine their reading strengths and weaknesses, and we have had our first math universal screener.

Using all this data I have my guided reading groups. I started them today. It is going to be quite a juggling act because of the range of reading levels. I was hoping to not have more than 3 or 4 reading groups, but it looks like I will have 6 again this year.

For those of you who don't use DRA, here are the levels.
On level for 2nd grade starts at 16 and ends at 28.
Here is the break down of my class:

Level 6: one student
Level 8: two students
Level 10: two students
Level 12: two students
Level 14: two students
Level 16: four students
Level 18: four students
Level 20: two students
Level 24: one student
Level 38: one student
Level 40: two students

So here is how I broke down the groups:

Group 1: Level 6 and Level 8

Group 2: Level 10

Group 3: Level 12 and Level 14

Group 4: Level 16

Group 5: Level 18, Level 20, Level 24

Group 6: Level 38 and Level 40

I think that I will be able to merge the groups more as the year progresses. I just want to be able to work with the emerging readers and be able to cater to their specific needs. I think this small grouping approach will help with that.

I will meet with Groups 1, 2, and 3 every day during the week. They need the most intensive instruction. Groups 4 and 5 will meet with me 3 days a week. Group 6 will meet with me 1 or 2 days a week. I am going to assign them a longer chapter book to read together.

In addition to guided reading groups, I will also have interventions for spelling, reading, and math.

Spelling:
I have nine students who are really struggling with spelling, so I have devised a plan that will be put into practice this week. Monday, Wednesday, and Friday they will arrive in the morning and go to the computer to practice with one of these two websites:


On Tuesdays and Thursdays, they will practice the words with my top spellers. I have taken my top 5 spellers and assigned them one or two students to work with. They will practice on their white boards. I am hoping that the interaction with classmates will encourage them to learn the words.

Reading:
In addition to guided reading every day, I am going to be pulling small groups during PE three days a week. I am on a crusade to have all my students reading on grade level as soon as possible! Plus, my lowest readers can't finish our classwork on their own because they can't read the words. I need to fix that ASAP.

Monday: Level 6 and Level 8
Tuesday: Level 12 and Level 14
Wednesday: Level 10 with me and Levels 6 and 8 on the computer with our intervention program.

Math:
We are lucky to have a retired teacher who comes to the school and works with small groups once a week. I will be sending her 6 students. Plus, the small group time spent in class.

All of this is pretty overwhelming for me right now, but I know it is what I need to do. Let me know if you have any suggestions!

7 comments :

Cheryl said...

Your plan looks very thorough and thoughtful. I also pull strategy groups (ex: using non-fiction text features) of kids from all levels so they get to work on a skill using a text at their level and work with students they might not normally get to because of their ability.

I am really sad, though, that you are pulling kids during PE. It is against the law in WA (and also when I taught in TX). Remember on your crusade to help students that you are helping them to see the joy of reading - not a punishment.

Mrs. Morris said...

Thanks for the feedback. I always make it fun and the kids don't feel like it is a punishment.

Amanda said...

Hi! I nominated you and your wonderful blog for “The Versatile Blogger” award. Go to The Teaching Thief for more info. :) ~Amanda

Ms. Payton said...

I have nominated your blog for the versatile teaching blog award!!!

Head on over to my blog to accept your award button and get the rules for the award!

http://teachingwithflare.blogspot.com/

Happy Blogging!

Rachel Moss said...

I know you posted this forever ago and may not see this comment, but if you do I'd love to get a digital copy of your reading level progress chart!

joy said...

Mistake does not only teach you how to be strong but also how to stand up again and to do good next time. Visit my site for more information. Have a good day always and thank you for sharing your knowledge and wonderful article to the public. I do hope that you can inspire more readers.

n8fan.net

www.n8fan.net

Silvia Jacinto said...

Reading your article is such a privilege. It does inspire me, I hope that you can share more positive thoughts. Visit my site too. The link is posted below.

n8fan.net

www.n8fan.net

Post a Comment