Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Gotta Love Stations

I started doing literacy stations last year in my classroom and I love it. The kids love it and they are learning. Here is how I have my guided reading block set up:

20 minutes - individual reading time
20 minutes - reading buddies
20 minutes - literacy stations
I am pulling guided reading groups the entire time.

At the beginning of the year I had grand plans of rotating the kids. That didn't work too well. Some kids were at literacy stations while others were supposed to be reading. Let's just say that very little reading was being done. So I switched it back to how I was doing it last year.

I like it this way because for the first 20 minutes (ish) things are quiet. I know that if they are talking, they are not reading. Then they get to work with a buddy and talk about their books, which they really love to do and it is so good for them to do. Finally, they get to go to stations. This is their favorite time of day. :)

My stations:

  • 5 Computers: iStation, Garage Band for fluency practice, Starfall, Tumblebooks
  • 3 Laptops: same as above
  • 3 iPods: literacy and math apps
  • Big Books
  • Class journals
  • 3 eReaders
  • writing on their white boards
  • Promethean board


I am also happy to say that I got to see Debbie Diller at a workshop two weeks ago. She was great. I love her practical ideas. I have been teaching the kids some games that I am going to put in math work stations. I have some kids who really need some small group time, so I am very excited about doing about a 15-20 minute small group(s) and math work stations in the afternoons. I am hoping to get that started as early as next week.

Right now I am working on getting the board set up, rounding up the last of the supplies that I will need, and teaching the last few games.

I will take some pictures of my literacy stations tomorrow and post them. I will start to blog more often! We have been working like crazy, but I am finally feeling like I have a good hold on things. We are halfway through our 2nd Six Weeks and the fall is zipping by!

1 comments :

Kristin said...

Just found your blog! I am so jealous of all of your technology. That's awesome! I can't wait to see the pics of your stations. :) I'm your newest follower.
A Teeny Tiny Teacher

Post a Comment