Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Teachers are Overpaid - Study that looks at numbers not real life

Assessing the Compensation of Public School Teachers
Jason Richwine, Ph.D. and Andrew G. Biggs, Ph.D
Nov. 1, 2011

The newest study on our profession.

Click HERE to watch a video of the authors presenting their findings.

Assessing the Compensation of Public School Teachers 19282337242

Can I just say that I am tired of being society's doormat? I am tired of hearing that teachers and schools are the reason things are going downhill. We are not the cause of the problem. We are working as hard as we can to improve the lives of the students we teach. We want all our kids to be successful and happy. We want them to have long, productive lives.

I am not saying that I am under paid. I wish I made more, but I am satisfied with my salary. I work an average of 50-60 hours a week, not including what I do on weekends. That adds up to more than my contract hours. My students are always on my mind. I dream about school. I am always on the lookout for things I can use or ideas I can put to use for my students.

I don't do this for recognition or fame. I do not receive either at school. We usually just hear about what we need to do better. I do this because I believe in kids. I want to teach them. I want to be around them. I want to show them love and give them a positive role model.

I sat down a few weeks ago and made a list of most of my responsibilities.
The Responsibilities of a Teacher

I don't want to be attacked for something I love. I give everything I have to my students and then some. It hurts to hear the things people are saying. I am sorry that the course work for educators is not as difficult as other majors. That doesn't mean that I didn't study and work hard during college. I went to class, participated, read the material, studied, wrote papers, completed projects, went to schools, completed my student teaching and graduated with a 4.00. That doesn't matter now, but I am still proud of it. It enrages me to hear people scoff at my college degree like I didn't work for it or like I am not paying for it through student loans.

You can not understand how difficult the job of a teacher is unless you are in the classroom with us. I wish all the politicians, law makers, administrators, etc. would spend time in classrooms every year. Not in a dog and pony show as a special visit. A real classroom in the regular day to day routine. Come and see what we really do all the time.

11 comments :

mrspierce0515 said...

Amen! I am having one of those "teachers are the doormats of society" kind of years. I agree with every statement you have made. YOu don't truly understand the scope of our job until you have walked in our shoes. And those politicians, I imagine, couldn't hack it.

Amanda
http://mrspierce0515.blogspot.com

Jen R. (The Teachers' Cauldron) said...

wow! I LOVE the responsibilities of a teacher! I'm totally sharing that!

Courtney said...

I completely agree. I am so tired of it too. Ridiculous studies by people who haven't set foot in a classroom in years.

Swimming into Second

Anonymous said...

Oh girl, I totally agree with you 110%! ~nicole

Ms. Rachel said...

you are so right!

Jackie P. said...

*standing on my soapbox*
Where are those nice overpaid fringe benefits that they're mentioning? I'm sure not seeing much of them! As I learned in a research class, you can make research say anything you want it to (for the right cost, I'm sure). Someone is going to benefit from this "study" and it sure won't be the teachers and definitely not the students of America. Thank you!
*stepping down from my soapbox*

P.S. Love the blog! :-)

Mrs. Coe said...

AMEN...

Mrs. Coe said...

I came back to write this... My own family has not seen but 10 minutes of me at five in the morning or eight at night this week. I am a kindergarten teacher and Monday night had a staff meeting and shopping for kinder kids, Tuesday night I had Science Night at my school and got home at 8, Wednesday night I had a report card committee meeting and got home at 8 and tonight report cards and making Kinder Thanksgiving Soup for all Kindergarten children. I will be back on the road at 6:30 am for my morning commute with gigantic pots and pans of Kinder made soup to celebrate Thanksgiving even after a week full of assessments and parent conferences. We balance it all and do it with a smile. We come prepared day in and day out for children with attention spans of no more that 15 minutes and different ability levels, languages and backgrounds... I LOVE my job and just wish these people could see how difficult it really is. We have passion for our kids and our jobs and there is NO weekend or night that we are free from the worry of the responsibilities. I guess it looks easy because we are good at it and passionate. I suppose when Friday hits these people hit the road and so not think about their jobs until they get there on Monday. And for 12 years I have worked every single after school job I could get to pay for my student loans... I have never once gotten a handout. I paid my way and worked like a dog to graduate. WHEW! I said it!

Pearlann66 said...

Keep up the good work, NO one but your students will ever truly appreciate what we do each and every day.
Happy Thanksgiving!

Anonymous said...

i agree completely. i had a parent tell me...why aren't teacher's doing their job? i was so angry at him. we do so much.

maypop said...

I'm coming late to this discussion, but I just had to comment. If you look at the organizations the two authors represent, you'll see The Heritage Foundation and The American Enterprise Institute. They are two organizations associated with politically conservative groups. So, it shouldn't surprise anyone that their "research" concluded that public school teachers are overpaid. The Republican party, which consists of a majority of conservative voters, is generally not supportive of public education. Sorry to bring politics into this discussion, but politics and education are two strange bedfellows these days!

Post a Comment