Sunday, March 18, 2012

Mean Girls and the Issue of Bullying

Hey guys,

I have really dropped the ball with posting fun ideas. This is not really a "fun" idea, but it is something I have been wrestling with all year.



Here are a few articles if you are interested in reading more:


This website has a lot of resources and may be a jumping off point for you.



We have a special group of girls this year. They are consistantly mean and cruel to each other. My school does R-time, which is a great program. Check out their website or my previous post.

I want to do more with my students. I am going to begin a program with my class starting next week. We have 11 weeks until the end of school. We will use a few resources I have found, videos, and discussion to help us plan a video. I want us to make a video that is unique to us and what is happening.

I am really going to lean heavily on this website. It has great webisodes that will lead us into discussions. It also has quizzes and critical thinking questions that go along with each video.


It is not going to be easy finding the time to do this, but I think it is very important. Most of the time I feel like I am just swimming against the current. I have to fight against what my students see and hear from everyone else every day. There are countless negative examples from tv, movies, family members, other people in public, music, and more that all present bullying as acceptable. I want to show them a different way.

What do you do with your students? Do you see this same problem? Do you agree or disagree with the articles?

12 comments :

Miss DeCarbo said...

Thanks for posting this. I am always on the look-out for my anti-bullying issues. This is great! I'm your newest follower. Hope you can swing by and visit my 2nd grade blog. :)

Second Grade Sugar and Spice

Kellie said...

Thank you! :)

Amy said...

Thank you for posting this information, it will be really helpful. Girls being mean to each other has definitely been an issue in my 2nd grade class over the past few years.

Anonymous said...

I had the worse case of bullying in my career as a teacher this year. I did not know the extent of what was going on until, as a school, we had anti-bullying week and by chance the bully was suspended. When we were having a discussion one by one students told me their stories and I sat and cried. It was not occurring when they with me and it hurt me to find out what my students were going through. I decided that I needed to know immediately when something happened and that the students didn't want him to know. They came up with the idea they would say "MY TOE HURTS" if he did something and when I picked them up from lunch and specials I would ask if anyone stepped on their toes. Somehow the bullying has stopped. I think it was the zero tolerance my admin. finally took and the fact we got child services involved. I am sorry you have to go troughthis. THANKS for posting this. I love your blog and look on it often for ideas. As hard as it may be to take time away from other areas it is totally worth it!!!!!! Not sure how to comment so I have to comment as anonymous...Kristen in NY

Waiting in Joyful Hope said...

Thanks for posting this. I have a huge mean girl issue this year and its driving me crazy! They are only 7!

Tania Knapp said...

Officially became your latest follower using Google friend (even though I have been following you using Reader).
Come and check out my Dr. Jean giveaway!
My Second Sense

beats me said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
babush said...

interesting details! keep sharing articles like this. Kudos!

www.triciajoy.com

amy jackson said...

There is another great resource out there: a picture book called "One" by Kathryn Otoshi. I love it, the kids love it and it gets the message across clearly and easily. Just FYI :)

lee woo said...

Love it! Very interesting topics, I hope the incoming comments and suggestion are equally positive. Thank you for sharing this information that is actually helpful.


ufgop.org
ufgop.org

Cindy Dy said...

Oh! Breathtaking post.

Sherly
www.gofastek.com

sarah lee said...

I really enjoyed reading your article. I found this as an informative and interesting post, so i think it is very useful and knowledgeable. I would like to thank you for the effort you have made in writing this article.


edupdf.org

Post a Comment