Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Creative Tuesday #2 ~ Appointment Cards


I want to share a fun idea with you called appointment cards. This isn't my original idea, but I have made it my own. I am not sure where I heard about it, it could have been a Gifted Staff Development, a book, or a blog. If you recognize this, leave me a comment and I will give credit where it is due!

What is an appointment card?
It is a way to pair up your students quickly. It is arranged so that every student has 5 partners to choose from. You can say, "I want you to get with your #3 partner and discuss(work on, practice, read together, etc) blah blah blah..." I have created a spreadsheet that will help you generate these partnerships easily!



Explaination of Spreadsheet
This spreadsheet is very easy to understand:

I assign every student in my class a number alphabetically. This helps me when grading and loads of other things. The bold numbers are those. When I get my class list I will replace the 1 with the student with that number, 2 with that student, and so on.


Next, fill in the rest of the spaces with the number that corresponds with that student. 
Example: If Becca is #1, then I will type her name in every space I have the #1. If Kevin is #2, I will type his name in every space I have the #2.


If you notice, this is setup so that everyone has a different partner, but there is no overlap. #14's first partner is #20 and #20's first partner is #14. That way when I tell everyone to find their first or #1 partner, #14 and #20 look for each other!


These are the student's cards. This is what I will hand out after I have filled them out. The student's will keep these in their STAR binders. We will use contact paper to adhere it to the inside flap. I like to save paper, so I have 2 cards per page. :)

I hope this is something you can use! Feel free to download the cards and spreadsheet!



Click here to get the spreadsheet!

I am linking up -- Go check it out!

Classroom Freebies Manic Monday

What are your thoughts about appointment cards?

7 comments :

Anonymous said...

Every weekend i used to visit this website, as i wish
for enjoyment, since this this website conations in fact pleasant funny stuff too.
Feel free to visit my site : El Puerto de Santa Maria

Anonymous said...

It's difficult to find knowledgeable people for this subject, but you sound like you know what you're talking about! Thanks
Also visit my web-site ... In Space

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
jhiller115 said...

This is a great idea. I will use it and contact paper it to the students' desks. I have used clock buddies in the past, but this is easier to keep track of.
I am new to following this blog, really enjoying it. Thanks

Anonymous said...

I like this but every year I have close to 30 kids. Is there a "formula" to follow to add more kids?

Becca Morris said...

There is no formula. Just fill in the rest of the numbers you need (#23-30). Then start with #23 and give it a first partner. For example: #23 can be first partners with #30. That means that #23 has #30 in the first position and #30 has #23 in the first position. Continue with that until you are finished. There won't be any overlap if you do it right. I hope that is clear enough.

Anonymous said...

what happens when you don't have an even number of kids?

Post a Comment