Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Creative Tuesday #5 ~ Think Marks

I was inspired by this pin:

Source: twitpic.com via Kathy on Pinterest

So I had to make my own!



Game Plan:
When students are reading, this is how we will check our understanding. Or one of the ways. I will require them to have these marks on their papers. This shows me that they are slowing down and thinking as they read. It will also show me the parts that are confusing to them so I can revisit those spots.

I want them to label the beginning, middle, and end of the text and highlight the characters names. If there are not characters that is a sign that the text is nonfiction.

This will be a test prep strategy. We have a state assessment in reading. In the past, teacher had taught their students to write a sentence stating the main idea of each paragraph as they read the text. That was when they had the entire day to test. Now we have a 4 hour time limit, so that is not an option anymore. I am glad, because (REALLY!) who wants to write a main idea sentence for every paragraph????

Do you use a shorthand system in your class?

2 comments :

Rachel Lamb said...

I love the simplicity of this! Def want to use!
Rachel

Loralee said...

Thank you for sharing a photo from my classroom! I got the idea from www.chartchums.wordpress.com which is a favorite resource!

Post a Comment