Monday, July 9, 2012

Inspiring Monday #3 ~ Morning Work

I would say that most teachers use some kind of morning work or bell work to get their kids focused every morning. It is easier with older students, but I did it to some extent with my 2nd graders. They would come in, put up all their stuff, and then begin responding to a picture or a writing prompt in their journals. When I taught Pre-K, the kids would come in and go to a center until we were ready to start the day. I remember in high school doing brain teasers or other things like that when we arrived in the room.

All that to say, I have been thinking about what morning work will look like with my 4th graders this year. I want to share Rick Morris's website with you again, because he is A.W.E.S.O.M.E.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here is what Bell Work looks like in his classroom:


I love the idea of using songs to begin and end morning work. I will be doing that! Anything to save my voice, plus it is more effective.

Next I want to share with you his method of checking morning work. It is great! He uses Class Cards:
I will be using these as well!
Using the cards to call on students
He goes through his cards and asks students for their answer to question #1. They answer, he says "Thank you," and sets their card down in a stack with like answers. Look at this next pictures from his website.

I will collect students morning work journals once a week for a grade. They won't know what day I will ask for them, so they will stay on their toes. (Hopefully)

This is what I am thinking right now. I know this will change during the year. I like to keep things fluid and respond to the needs of my class.


Here is a sneak peak at my "Today's Number" board:

I will be posting about this soon!

What do you do for Morning Work? Does yours come from a book? Does it reflect your content area focus? If you have blogged about this please leave me the link!


4 comments :

Lisa R. said...

I love your "Today's Number" board!! It is fantastic! I would love to make something like that for introduction to math everyday. :)
Lisa
Learning Is Something to Treasure

Tara said...

This past year for morning work my kids just read.....yep, that's right, read. Thanks to reading The Book Whisperer. They loved it and I loved it. The room was quiet....what a wonderful way to start the day....but this summer I have been reading Guided Math and want to do that too so not sure what my mornings will look like yet...Thanks for linking up and I love your Today's Number board:) I'll be pinning that:)

4th Grade Frolics

Amanda said...

Thanks for reposting about Rick Morris. I LOVE that class card system. What a great way to make sure everyone is involved in the morning work check. I will looking into his website and books much more.

Amanda
The Teaching Thief

Jill said...

I love the"today's number board, so bright and cheerful. Thanks for sharing.

Jill
Bubbalulu.blogspot.com

Post a Comment