"When all is said and done, a good teacher helps the student to improve the quality of his life. With so many children growing up poor, one of my major goals is to give that child a fighting chance to end the cycle of poverty that paralyzes hopes and dreams. It's not enough to ask kids to pull themselves up by their bootstraps--many of them don't even know what bootstraps are. With our schoolroom economic system, students learn to value and take care of property and to plan ahead and earn the things they want. With luck they'll go on to use these exonomic skills for the rest of their lives."
Here are the components fo the class economic system that Mr. Esquith implements:
- Apply for class jobs
- Hired for a particular job that pays a salary
- Pay rent on their desk that is more than their salary
- Bonus money for good academics and behaviors
- Fines for unacceptable behavior
- Chance to save to buy their desk and then other student's desks
- Monthly auctions where they can spend their money or choose to save it
If you are thinking about implementing this in your classroom, you have to go to this website.
Vangaurd Investment Management Firm partnered up with Rafe Esquith to bring wonderful, FREE resources to teachers. They have resouces for all grades K-12.
I am so excited about using this with my students!