Monday, August 27, 2012

First Day Success!

I just have to say that this was a great first day. I didn't really know what to expect from this new grade level. I was a little apprehensive. It was for nothing. The kids were great! We started the day with Whole Brain Teaching and it just went up from there!

We know all 5 rules, Class - Yes, and the Scoreboard. I love it! Most of my kids were very energetic about it, but I can tell that I will need to pump it up for tomorrow. I am not a naturally peppy person. I tend to be calm and mellow most of the time, so I am going to make a bigger effort tomorrow. Step out of the comfort zone!

Yesterday I shared my plans for the first day, but here it is again:


We accomplished everything, in this order! I was amazed! They caught on really fast and we were able to really discuss my expectations and the reasons for them. I was so happy to see their excitement about their STAR binders and our class economy! They were talking about the jobs and many of them said they didn't know how they were going to choose for their application! Part of the "homework" tonight is to go over the job descriptions and decide on their top three because we will be filling out job applications tomorrow!

The tubs of books really came in handy for our restroom break time. They loved seeing pictures of my family and animals (dogs and cat). I forgot the reading surveys at school, so I will have to review them tomorrow. Drat!

I am most proud of our reading journals!!! 

My girl journals - I only have 7 right now.
We took the time to really personalize them. I bought some cute paper, letter stamps, and stickers. I learned that we just need to dump the 3D stickers, because I had a hard time covering the front with contact paper since it was raised... Oh well. I will make that adjustment tomorrow when we do our writing journals!

About half of my boy journals.

Boy journals
They were so excited to do this! I brought them home and put clear contact paper over the front covers. I hope that keeps them intact for the duration! I wanted to preserve their hard work. I also added red duck tape to the spines. This will be great when we have 5 journals in every desk. They will just be able to look at the spines and grab the red one for reading!

They aren't perfect, but it was during class, so I had to be quick!

Here are some examples of the inside:

First page (A) is for a record of their grades. This page is for me to write on.
Two more examples:



Pages B-E are reserved for the Table of Contents. Then we numbered 1-20 on the next pages.
We are ready to journal!!! That starts tomorrow!

1 comments :

Anonymous said...

Hmm is anyone else experiencing problеms ωith the imagеѕ on thіs blοg
loading? I'm trying to figure out if its a problem on my end or if it's the blog.
Аnу responses would bе grеatlу appгeсiаtеd.
Look at my web page ; Body Cleansers

Post a Comment