Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Hand Signs

Do you use hand signs in your classroom? I haven't so far, but I want to try it out. I am finding myself moving away from talking and talking in the classroom. I want to use music for transitions and hand signs for certain things. I have seen hand signs that include getting a pencil, Kleenex, or paper, but I don't need those. My students will have those things at their group tables.

Here are my three signs:




I am really into chevrons lately...

Click here for the file. 
It has 2 other colors as well. If you want me to make one with a certain color, email me and I will see what I can do!!!

Ginger on the left and Mollie on the right. I love that they are holding paws!

4 comments :

Kerry said...

I have used hand signals for several years now and will never teach without them again! It is so nice to be able to have a student ask a question and you answer, all without interrupting class. All is takes is a head nod or shake from me and Voila! it's done. I use 5 signals - 1 for restroom, 2 for drink, 3 for pencil, 4 for office, 5 for question.

Anonymous said...

Why not use the American Sign Language sign for bathroom?

Becca Morris said...

Good point. I don't know that sign and I didn't think to do that. Is that what you use? That would be a great thing to do.

Anonymous said...

Yes, the sign for bathroom or toilet is the t handshape. The sign for water is a W so I would keep that one. I also think it would be great for all kids to learn a few signs and the alphabet and numbers. I work with kids that have communication delays, and sign is a lifesaver! Aslpro.com is a fantastic resource

Post a Comment