Saturday, August 11, 2012

Make your own dividers

Two lovely ladies have asked how I made my own dividers for my many teacher binders. I wanted to clarify. I know it is super easy to go to the store and buy dividers, but I had time and was feeling crafty. That led me to open up PowerPoint and try to make my own dividers.

Here are examples of what my dividers look like:

I love these dividers. They are circles and you can see more at a glance.

These dividers are ovals. I have one for the standards and the rest for each of th 6 six weeks in the year.
Materials:
  • cardstock
  • powerpoint or other computer program
  • printer
  • glue
  • thermal laminating pouches
  • iron
  • 3 hole punch
Step-by-step directions
  1. Create your labels for the dividers. I gathered some free clipart, made circles using the shapes creator in powerpoint, and added text. The best thing about this is that you can make these exactly how you want them!
  2. Decide if you want to make the actual pages pretty. I did for my teacher binder, but not for the content area binders.
  3. Print onto cardstock.
  4. Cut out the labels.
  5. Glue the circles or ovals onto cardstock pages. You will need to line up the papers as you go. You don't want the circles or ovals sticking up unevenly or spaced out unevenly. This step will be fast or slow, depending on your level of OCD.  :)
  6. Use your iron and thermal laminating pouches to laminate the dividers or you can laminate them at your school.
  7. Trim the lamination and hole punch it.
*** Side note ***
You don't need to buy a laminator for home use. Just buy the thermal pouches and use your iron. It works great! I have been doing it for weeks.

Easy, easy! Now here are my files, but you can easily make these yourself.













9 comments :

Miss Foote said...

I am so excited to do this! Thanks for the how-to!

Laurie
Chickadee Jubilee

Lisa at Fourth and Ten said...

Thanks for a great tutorial! :) Do you mind sharing how big your circles were? Thanks!
Lisa
Fourth and Ten
Like Fourth and Ten on Facebook!
Formerly Stories From Second

Amy said...

Thank you, this is really helpful!

Mrs. Cypher said...

Love it! :) Thank you!! This makes me motivated to creat my "Teacher Binder" for all of MY stuff--plans, curriculum maps, student info, contact logs, etc.

Amanda
Sweeties In Second

Sara Soucy said...

Thank you for sharing! These are way cuter than the store bought ones and cheaper too!

Sara :)

Kate said...

Great tutorial!! Thank you so much!

Kate
EduKate and Inspire

Anonymous said...

Becca~You rock girl! What temperature do you put the iron on to laminate? High, no steam? Wish I would've thought of that! ~nicole

Becca Morris said...

Thanks Nicole!! I put mine on the nylon setting, so not very hot.

Christine said...

Thank you so much for sharing this! I was trying to figure out how to do this in Word and I am so happy to learn how easy it is to do in PowerPoint! Thanks for sharing!!!
:)

Post a Comment