Saturday, August 25, 2012

Meet the Teacher Night & Plans for the First Day

Meet the Teacher Night
(Friday)
Last night our school opened up to meet this year's students and their families. They can come meet us, see their new classroom, and drop off their school supplies. If you want to see some of the things I had for last year's meet the teacher night, go HERE.

This year I knew a few things:

  1. Only about half of my students/families will come
  2. They don't want to stay long so I need to keep it short
  3. It is not the time for a presentation
The first year, I made an iMovie with all sorts of information to share. I had it going the whole time and I think one parent glanced at it. Last year I had a powerpoint running with basic info, but again most parents didn't pay attention to it. So this year I kept it simple.

As they walked in, they saw this:

Here is a closer view:

Click HERE to download the Transportation List. (FREE)

The paper on the right is the sign-in sheet. We are required to turn in sign-in sheets for any event that involves parents. I also had parents give me an idea of how their child was going to get home. They wrote their child's name under the correct heading on the transportation list.

Beside those papers were 2 more:

Click HERE to download these papers. (FREE)
On the right I asked for their email address and on the right I am keeping track of children who wear glasses. I want to make sure that I know those students who are supposed to wear them, but forget or don't want to bring them to school.

Click HERE to download. (FREE)
I have these small information sheets that all my parents fill out. That way I have contact information, how they get home, and permission for their student to participate in our online activities all in my classroom.


These are papers that I sent home. It is just basic information, a supply wish list (on the back of the General Info page), and the sign-up for Remind 101.


This is a great way to send out reminders. Sending home notes or leaving messages are good, but you just have to hope they get to the parents. Remind 101 goes straight to their cell phones. And let's be honest, everyone has a cell phone with texting capabilities. We all keep them close by. This is a really effective way to keep parents updated with important information.

********************************

Plans for the First Day of School
(Monday)

Well, it is the last weekend of summer. My building is open today, but I am ready so I decided to stay home today. I went grocery shopping with my husband, prepared my lunches for the week, and made breakfast burritos that I will freeze and reheat for the next week at least. I am currently doing laundry and trying to think about what I am going to wear next week.

I feel like I am ready, but am I? This year is going to be very stressful, I know it. There are a million tests that my kids have to take. I am such a perfectionist. I want my kids to do wonderful on every test and so I have a hard time when they don't. I know I am going to work my butt off this year. *big sigh*

Here are my plans for my first day:

As you can see, our first day will be about routines, procedures, getting to know each other, setting up our supplies and going to 2 specials. Yes, I have Art and Music on Mondays. :)

We will start hitting curriculum hard on the second and third days of school. We have a lot to cover before our first round of testing, but I know how important it is to establish routines, expectations, and procedures.

Be sure to check back tomorrow to see the gifts I am giving my team and students on the first day of school. 

SHHHH! Don't tell!

7 comments :

Christine said...

Wow you eat late in the day! I don't think I would make it to 1:00pm.

Christine
Tales From Rm 17!

Amy said...

Thanks for sharing your forms! I have open house next week!

Pat's Paper Passion said...

We're not having an open house until after the first of the year when we hope to be moved into a new building. Our special classes (art and library) don't think they need to be up and running the first week (insert sad face). Lucky you! Have a great year. I'm starting week 3 Monday.


Pat

A Time to Share & Create


MY WEBSITE

Fabulous 4th Grade

Becca Morris said...

Thanks Ladies! I ate after 1:00 last year, too. You get used to it.

Amanda said...

Okay I am SUPER stoked about that remind101 site! I just signed up for it and cannot wait to give parents the number to subscribe. Thanks soooo much for sharing it! Planning on sending it out to fellow teachers at my school!

Amanda
Reaching for the TOP!

Tiffany A said...

How did you make the template for your newsletter?

Anonymous said...

Hi Becca. I was wondering if you could share the 'Welcome Back to school' letter that I found on Pinterest. It has a 'To fill out and return' section. I love your blog!

Post a Comment