Thursday, August 16, 2012

WBT Universal Homework Model


I hate homework. Don't you? Be honest. It isn't fun to plan for, copy, enforce completion, grade, or return to students. It makes me feel like I am banging my head against the wall. Ugh.

Ok, now that I have gotten that out of the way...

Enter homework Whole Brain style. I have high hopes for this model. Here is another fun video from Chris Biffle! You should really watch this one. He makes some great points! You only need to watch the first 15 minutes to get the gist of the homework model.


Watch live streaming video from wholebrainteaching1 at livestream.com

I changed mine up a little, which is a great thing about WBT. Coach B gives you free reign to tweak his ideas to meet your classroom needs!



Why would kids do extra homework???????
Peer pressure makes it happen. The class earns one point for every star of homework completed. Any student who did one star homework earns the class one star and so on. This is how you reinforce students doing their homework:

  • Call for 1 star homework. Those students raise their paper in the air and you tally the points. (1 for each)
  • Call for 2 star homework. Those students stand up and raise their paper in the air. (2 points)
  • Call for 3 star homework. Those students stand up, raise their paper in the air, and jump up and down. (3 points)
  • Call for 4 star homework. Those students do the same as 3 star, but everyone cheers for them! (4 points)
  • Call for 5 star homework. Those students get to come to the front of the room and do the above. They get the loudest cheers. (5 points)
My class will be working toward free time on Friday. Look at this picture of my weekly homework graph. I will have this in a page protector in a central location in the room. I will use a dry erase marker to color the square throughout the week.
So if we earn 45 or less points during the week we get 3 minutes of free time. 46-85 points gets us 10 minutes and 86 or more will get us 20 minutes of free time.
Let me tell you how I am planning on using the homework handout. I am going to print them out. I made them 2 to a page to reduce copies. I will always have the instructions on the back. Once they are copied, I will cut them in half and 3 hole punch each half page. My students will put this in their STAR binders and keep track of their homework during the week. On Friday, I will collect the homework bookmark and any papers they are turning in.


I didn't add any decoration or fun fonts, because I needed it to be straight forward. So they aren't that pretty, but they will be very functional.

As always, if you want the powerpoint file to edit yourself, just email me.
rmoris at mesquiteisd dot org

27 comments :

Katrina said...

OMG!! I love the Universal Homework Model!! I think some type of homework is important, but I hate collecting and checking it. This might just be my solution to collecting homework and getting all students to buy into it. I may change it a bit, but I love the concept. Thanks for sharing all the info on WBT. I am definitely going to do more research on the topic.

Katrina
Teacherofscholars.blogspot.com

TS said...

I am going to use even more WBT ideas this school year- I have been watching videos and blog-stalking all summer. I love your bookmark format for the homework, I would love a copy to use. My email is tswan@delano.k12.mn.us
Thanks!!

Kelly Teaching Fourth said...

What a wonderful idea! This may be something I have to try this year! I am a new follower.

Kelly
Teaching Fourth

april in tx said...

This is a new idea and it sounds cool! I like the opportunity for choice. However, you might want to tweak your assignments; all that would take about 2 hours or more for many fourth graders to finish.

Good luck this year! I love your enthusiasm.

Becca Morris said...

April- here is my count
30 minutes of reading
Super speed reading only takes 3 min
Super speed math is the same
Letter can be done in 15-20 min
Sloppy copy before final letter might add 15 min
My district wants about 10 minutes of homework per grade level. Most of my students will be doing a little less than that. The high avhievers, who work faster and need the extra challenge, can finish in a little over an hour.
I will see how it goes and reevaluate after a few weeks. I do want it to be a challenge.

andreleah said...

Hi from la d in chicago
I just stumbled upon your site last night, and look I'm back for more. I have agonized every year about homework and so far I think your technique could be a solution to my dilemma. Kuddos to you! Could I also get a copy of your orignials. I'm sure I'll tweek it a bit, I have a passion for science and I always include science in weekly homework packets. Have a terrific school year!

Thanks!
My email is:
lapitts1@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

Could you please send me the originals of this homework plan? I am always stressing about this and then dreading checking the papers! This would solve many problems!

Thanks!
My email is
monica.murphy@nn.k12.va.us

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love your version of the UHM! Could you, please, send me the customizable copy? olgaysub@yahoo.com

Jayne said...

I would love to have a copy of your version of the UHM! I can definitely see a use for this in my classroom next year. I would need to customize it somewhat to fit our class. Thank you for sharing!

Jayne
jaynedane@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

I like the WBT homework model. I know the model can be changed to the teacher's desires. What are your thoughts of spelling homework? I've not seen it added. Please send me your powerpoint to dmlyon4@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

I LOVE this please send to me at... ariley@nettleton.k12.ms.us! Amy Riley

Mrs. Bosshardt said...

I am so LOVING your homework bookmarks! I would love a copy. I am also "NEW" at this "blogging", but I am enjoying yours so much.
Ginger

Dana said...

I am going to attempt to try this out this year. Love the forms you made and would love to use them if possible! My email is dgentry@dunlapcusd.net Thank you so much!

Anonymous said...

Hello!
I would love to have a copy of your WBT homework sheet and graph. I started implementing WBT last year and am loving it! Thank you for sharing!

Paula
Thndrlghtnng2@aol.com

Michelle Shelton said...

Hi! This looks wonderful! Would you mind sending me the PPT to edit? thanks! mshelton33@yahoo.com
Michelle

charlie said...

Hi! This looks wonderful! Would you mind sending me the PPT to edit? thanks!
holyjoe01@gmail.com

Amy Wendel said...

Please send me your universal homework. amyg612@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

I'd like a copy of all of your WBT homework stuff, too, please! I can't wait to start this! 3monkeysmama@gmail.com

adoremoi79 said...

I would like it as well.

adoremoi7993@gmail.com

Kellie Bell said...

May I also get a copy? Thank you SO very much!

kelliebell73@yahoo.com

Christina Caceres said...

I would love a copy of your UHM bookmarks, if you don't mind. TIA
christina.caceres@rusd.org

Michelle Ross said...

I love your materials. Please send me your power point at mross@wbschools.org or let me know how to aquire them. Thank you. They are just what I need as a newbie to WTM.

Frances Vachon said...

Just a quick question: What do you do with the letters they write and math papers… correct and return?
If you're still sharing, I'd love a copy of your materials: fvachon@comcast.net

Anonymous said...

This is Great!!! May I please have a copy of your homework model. My email is jfrancois@stmary.k12.la.us.

Thanks

Anonymous said...

I love your plans! Could you send me your homework file
rlmoncel@volusia.k12.fl.us

Unknown said...

Hello, Thank you, thank you, thank you! I would love to use your powerpoint - my email address is dscantu@interact.ccsd.net. This is my first year using the universal homework and am having problems with explaining the new homework clearly, also, can you provide a sample score sheet. Thank you - Diana - Second Grade Teacher

Diana Cantu said...

Hello, Thank you, thank you, thank you! I would love to use your powerpoint - my email address is dscantu@interact.ccsd.net. This is my first year using the universal homework and am having problems with explaining the new homework clearly, also, can you provide a sample score sheet. Thank you - Diana - Second Grade Teacher

Post a Comment