Friday, August 3, 2012

Whole Brain Teaching ~ Class-Yes!

I have decided to work on my Whole Brain Teaching Certification, so I am going to be doing a series of posts highlighting Chris Biffle's wonderful teaching techniques. I am hoping to spark some interest because it is truly a great way to teach.

This is not a "program" or "script" to follow. These techniques make real engagement possible.

The first thing you need to learn and teach your students is "Class-Yes!"

Here is a video from Chris Biffle himself outlining this great tool.


Watch live streaming video from wholebrainteaching1 at livestream.com

This really works!!! It is so simple. Why didn't I think of it? I used this a few times the last two years, but never with any regularity. I missed a lot of opportunitieis to refine my technique, but I was on overload with a new job...

The best example I have of this is from our holiday party. It was the day before Christmas break and we had a class full of parents, siblings, and students. There was plenty of food and music. It was time to wrap up and clean up. What do you normally do in this situation? Walk around and talk to a few students at a time? Try to yell over all the othe noise? Flick the lights? I said, "Class! Class!" in a loud voice and they all replied, "Yes! Yes!" They were all quiet and looing at me.

It was A.M.A.Z.I.N.G.

I think every parent there was in shock. I was kind of surprised because I had not used Class-Yes in a week or two. It was great that they had internalized it so quickly and easily!

This will be the very first thing we do in my 4th grade classroom. The great thing? I will have some of the kids from that class I just talked about from the party! I had them in 2nd 2 years ago and now I am moving up to 4th! Awesome!

I really encourage you to go to the Whole Brain Teaching website and learn more. I will be posting more over the next few weeks, so stay tuned.

8 comments :

TammySF. said...

I'm very interested in the Whole Brain Teaching techniques! Looking forward to reading more:)

Tammy
1...2...3...Teach With Me

Mrs D said...

I'm starting the certification process too!
I look forward to reading your posts and leaving comments. I've only been doing my posts for a few weeks now.

Mrs.D Reading with Mrs. D

Mrs. Goodwin said...

I used the yes, yes in my classroom last year also. I didn't ever try the teach okay or any of the others. Wonder if you have ever done any of those?

Anna Marie said...

Hi! I saw that you posted on the Collaborative First Day doc. I love that you have your students take a learning styles survey. Do you have a copy of that or a description of what is on it?
Thanks!
annapugliano@gmail.com

Brenda said...

I just found your blog yesterday and I am so excited. The whole brain teaching sounds amazing. I can't wait to learn more about it!

Becca Morris said...

Good ladies! I will be posting more and letting you know how it works in my classroom. Anna Marie, I just sent you an email. Happy teaching!

Amanda said...

I dabbled in WBT this past year and loved it! I really want to incorporate more techniques this year. Class-Yes is one of my favorites. I have to change it up A LOT to keep my kids on their toes though. I can't wait to see what else you post. I'm inspired to look into the WBT certification too. That would really hold me accountable for keeping it up.

Amanda
The Teaching Thief

Debbie Harris said...

I use the class-yes daily in my music classroom. My co-workers were amazed when I used it during a whole school assembly and the students all answered and got quiet. Loved it. I'm working on incorporating some of the other things in the classroom. Love using teach-okay for review.

Post a Comment