Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Absent and Homework Freebie

I haven't posted in two weeks. Sorry! (I know I was really missed.  :)

About two weeks ago I started to feel really bad. I mean REALLY bad. I talked to the nurse at school and she said I needed to go see the doctor that day. I went in and he did a full blood work-up and sent me for a CT scan. Let's just say I was worried. It turns out that I have pre-diabetes. Ugh. Not fun.

I am on medicine and I am hopeful that I won't have to be on it long. My doctor told me that with diet and exercise I should be able to reverse it.

Do you know what this means? I will have to severely change my eating habits forever. I have always had a hard time dieting and saying no to things like pasta, bread, ice cream, and chocolate. Those things are now, not off limits, but have to be reduced like crazy. I am proud to say that I have made some major changes and I am feeling better. I just know that this time I have to stick with it.

Any advice?

___________________________________________________________________________

On a different note, I am loving my class this year! I really think that 4th is the grade for me!

I had shared my WBT inspired homework earlier. Here it is again.

This worked really well, but I could tell the kids were getting bored. I decided that I needed to include other things in my weekly homework, so I made this:

We are using the revised homework this week. Here is my procedure:
  • I copy this onto colored paper for emphasis
  • Then I cut them apart
  • I use a 3 hole punch so my students can clip these into their STAR binders for the week
  • Students will check off the activities as they complete them throughout the week
  • Parents will sign off every night
  • I have a student who checks homework daily
  • I will collect their bookmark with all the papers stapled to it on Friday

Reasons why I love this:
  1. It limits the work I need to do every week.
  2. It keeps students accountable.
  3. It is easy for the parents to remember what their child should be doing and what is coming up that week.
  4. The homework won't take longer than 30-40 minutes, which is in keeping with my school's requirements.
  5. I only have to look at homework at the end of the week.
Hopefully I will be back on my blogging schedule now!

5 comments :

Nancy Stoltenberg Director of WBT Certification said...

So sorry to hear you have been sick, Becca! I am glad to hear you are improving! I really enjoy your blog! Welcome back!

Nancy
Mrs. Stoltenberg's Second Grade Class

Elmer said...

It's always been the saddest part of being a student to absent in school due to some illness. Though, they can still recover from their grades but most of them cannot able to recover that is being discussed on the time they were absent.
review on paper writing help websites

khairul044 said...

This blog site is very good!

Magical Memories said...

I hope you are feeling well...you haven't posted in a while. I love your lesson plan pages...but I can't download them. Do you need to have a scribid account? I am new to all this but want to get them....they look fabulous!!

Fun in 1st Grade said...

I also use WBT's STAR homework. It is working really well for my 1st graders!
Dana
Stop by sometime at Fun in 1st Grade

Post a Comment