Monday, September 3, 2012

Inspired by Pinterest ~ Around the room


During the first week of school, I made a few changes in my room. Nothing outrageous, but I thought I would share.

This is the pin that inspired me to put my filing cabinets back to back.

Source: via Rebecca on Pinterest

I originally had my turn in boxes on top of these filing cabinets.
I have also moved the hand signs a little and posted an anchor chart on the right. It is a chart that we will refer to daily, so I wanted it to be up and visible all the time.


After the first day, I realized that my students are shorter than I thought they would be! So I moved the turn in boxes to the table under the charts. It is working better now!

I have to say that I am loving my anchor charts!!! I have added a writing chart and another math chart to cover the bar graph chart. The bar graph chart didn't turn out too good...

I will take pictures next week and post them. 

This is how my library corner looked at the beginning of the week.

This is how it looked on Friday. After school, I got another desktop. So it doesn't look like this anymore! I added the 3rd desktop to the end of the table and moved the laptops to another table. I love having computers in my classroom! We can do so much with them!

I just have to say that I have been blessed this year. I have a G.R.E.A.T. class. They are compliant and eager to please. It is wonderful!!! They are ready to work, for the most part. I already know who I will be spending extra time with and who will be leading the class and helping me out.

They are so excited about the classroom economy! I think it is going to be great. They applied for jobs on Wednesday, I received about 8 or 9 recommendation letters (applicants for banker and police officer had to provide a letter of recommendation), I assigned jobs on Thursday (I think everyone was happy with their assignment), and I passed out bonus money on Friday. Training will begin on Monday. I have some prep work to do. 

I need to make sure I know what I want each person to be doing. I will have to really train a few of them! They are already wanting to know when we will have our auction. I love hearing them talk to each other in terms of the economy. I have heard:

"Stop that. Do you want a fine?"
"You have to have a job. Don't you want to pay rent? If you don't, you have to sit on the floor."
"I am going to make good choices, so I can get bonus money."
"When is pay day?"

I am looking forward to next Friday when they get more bonus money and have to figure out how much money they have altogether. They will be applying math skills in an authentic way!

5 comments :

Ashley Nicole said...

I love your classroom job/economy ideas! Do you have a post where you explain them in greater detail?

Ashley @ Fierce in Fourth

Mrs. Lua said...

Great idea about the classroom economy, especially for the older kids! Your room looks fabulous, too!
Nichole :)
luaslearners.blogspot.com

Becca Morris said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Becca Morris said...

Yes!
Classroom Economy Resources

Becca@Plumbers Geelong said...

Absolutely love all the wonderful creativity here and am thoroughly enjoying browsing through your posts! :D
Your a very organized person, keep it up!

Post a Comment