Monday, May 6, 2013

Chance for a 1:1 iPad Classroom!!!!!

I am super excited about the opportunity to have a 1:1 iPad class next year. My school district has earmarked a large sum of money for just this purpose. They have opened it up to all elementary and middle schools in our district to apply in a proposal process.

That means that 32 elementary and 8 middle schools have teachers that are eligible for this grant money. Talk about competitive! I want a 1:1 classroom more than anything in the world! I love teaching, learning, and playing with technology. So I wanted to share some things I have done with iPads in my classroom so far. My principal bought us a class set (for the entire building) this spring, so I have had a chance to do a few things...

Home screen
Let's start with my personal iPad. I got it this past Christmas from my loving husband, who puts up with my school/technology obsession.

 I am a huge fan of Pinterest, so that is on my dock. I keep track of everything with my calendar and email. I will share more about my lesson planning tool later, but I also have that in my dock for easy access.

Flipboard is a great app for viewing RSS feeds, blogs, magazines, newspaper articles, and websites. I love it! It feels like you are flipping through a magazine and of course it is a FREE app! I don't buy apps unless I have a gift card.

I keep all my immediate apps on the home screen, but I don't like it to be cluttered. (I have issues, I
know.) I use Dropbox, Google Drive, and Remind 101 regularly. The only games I ever play are SuDoKu, Reversi, and Spades, so they are located here.

In my School Apps folder I keep apps that I am trying out for my class. My favorite right now are Educreations, Edmodo, and FrameArtist.


I really like having my kids use Educreations to showcase their learning. Here are a few examples. Please keep in mind that they are not perfect. I haven't had kids write scripts, but they do have fun recording themeselves. The downside of this app is that once you start recording, you have to see it through. It doesn't let you rewind, so you have to start completely over. Boo.








We also did a little bit of work in Frame Artist at the end of our state research.



I absolutely love using Edmodo with my class. It is a great meeting place. I can post assignment, links, videos, and Google Docs. The kids love to get on and post their ideas and thoughts. Here is an example of an assignment for my class. This is what I gave them to make the postcards above.


Do you have any great iPad ideas to share with me?


2 comments :

Dianne said...

My husband totally supports my obsession too! In fact, I currently own 5 iPads...crazy, I know. Check out StickPick. It's a free random name generator that we love. You can even shake your phone or device and the kids hear the sticks banging around in the can. So fun!
Dianne
Hopelessly Devoted to Teaching

Katrina said...

I would love to have a 1:1 iPad classroom. There is so much that could be done. Good luck. Keep us updated.

Katrina

Post a Comment