Friday, May 17, 2013

City of Ember Comic Strips

We are reading The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau in my class. All my students are loving it! You know it is a hit when you finish a chapter and they beg to read the next.  :)  Success!!!

I have to say that reading a novel with my students has been a revelation. They are really enjoying the shared experience and I have noticed an improvement in their fluency over the past 2 weeks. They want to read aloud. They are reading more intently during their silent reading time.

I am so happy about this. We haven't really spent time reading together this year, and I regret it. It seemed like we had so many other things to do that were more important. I was wrong about that. I am wondering if their comprehension and enjoyment of reading would have improved more this year if we had been sharing a book throughout the year. Hmmmm.

They have been journaling throughout the book pretending to be a part of the city of Ember. Some of them are being very creative in their entries. I will try to scan some of their entries to share with you.

Last week I had them create a comic strip illustrating a scene from the story. Here are a few of my favorites.


1 comments :

Amanda said...

One of my very favorite books!! We started it at the tail end of the year, but didn't get to finish. Hopefully some of my kids will keep reading over the summer. :)

Amanda
The Teaching Thief

Post a Comment