Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Next school year... (linky party)

Finding Joy in 6th Grade is hosting a linky party! One of my favorite things about summer is joining in all the fun linky parties.

joyin6th Homepage

Here are a few of my goals for next year:
I want to keep all of my professional development paperwork in an Evernote Notebook. I will scan or take a photo of all those important papers from the office so I can find them when I need to. 

This was my first year in 4th and therefore with the intense writing curriculum. This summer I am going to really plan how I am going to implement a more focused and intentional writing process. We need MUCH more grammar help than I had anticipated. We will be doing a lot of spiral review to keep all those pesky rules fresh in our minds.

I don't like where my desk is placed right now. I feel like it is taking up space close to the Promethean board that should be utilized by students. I know where I want to put my desk and computer, but I don't know if the computer cords are long enough...

After the STAAR test, we began reading the City of Ember as a class. We loved it and I saw major improvement in their fluency. I had big plans to read novels this past year with my class, but... real life hit. Next year I am going to make the time because I think it builds community and really helps with their reading skills. We will still follow the curriculum, but I am going to add in this daily reading.

This is going to be the most difficult goal for me. I am a horrible blogger during the school year. It just falls by the wayside. Here's to keeping up with the blog world!

4 comments :

Teacher and Life Long Learner said...

Wonderful goals!

K. Mo said...

I love the novels goal! I am a second grade teacher and I love reading novels to my kids. I won a mini-grant from my teacher's union so I could buy class-sets for kids to follow along. I found that it (among other things) increases my students listening comprehension and vocabulary. I'm always surprised about the little details they remember months later. We are knee-deep in The Grand Escape right now!
❤ Karen
flamingofab@gmail.com
Flamingo Fabulous in Second Grade

Leaping into Teaching said...

Great goals! I especially love the one about reading chapter books all year! I was hoping to do that this year, but our state standards and assessments have caused us to focus on shorter texts and much more non-fiction. I missed my novels! Thanks for sharing!

Christine

Leaping into Teaching

Becca Morris said...

Thanks ladies! Novels are not built into our curriculum until the last six weeks, so I am going to need to be creative, but I think it will be worth it. We will just focus and reading and talking about it. I don't see us doing too many activities with the novels until I am more comfortable with them.

Post a Comment