Friday, June 28, 2013

Chapter Books for 4th grade - My read aloud plan


I am so happy to have decided which books we are going to read as a class this upcoming year!

Have you read any of these?

I just read The One and Only Ivan and oh my goodness! It is wonderful. It is an easy read that made me cry! If you haven't read it, you need to. It is a touching story. You can check out the author's website HERE. I think it will be a great way to build a community of readers and our confidence in reading chapter books.

R.J. Palacio has written a wonderful book. Wonder will touch your heart and make you look at things differently. I hope it will open up many discussions in my classroom.

Shredderman is just an entertaining book. I am a little unsure of the message it sends, but we will approach it in a light hearted way. I do like that it is the first book in a series. Hopefully a few of my students will want to read more. I think my boys will be interested in this one.

The Tiger Rising is a short book, but it deals with heavy stuff. The characters are 11-12 year olds that are dealing with the loss of parents. The boy has lost his mother to cancer and the girl has lost her dad to divorce. It is a quick read, but I want to talk about the deep themes and issues that are brought up with my students.

Among the Hidden is a suspenseful book that is also the first in a series. I love that the main character is a boy. So many of my boys only want to read Captain Underpants or nothing at all. I am hoping that this book might spark some interest.

The last book we will read as a class will be The City of Ember. We read this together at the end of the year this year and it coincided nicely with our electricity unit in science! My kids LOVED this book! They were asking to read it! It is what convinced me that we need to have read alouds all year long. 

I am not going to be assigning projects or a thousand questions with each chapter. I want this to be a fun reading experience. We are going to enjoy books together! I will ask higher order thinking questions that (hopefully) will spark discussions. The kids will have the chance to discuss the book through Edmodo. I will post engaging questions, quotes, and my own thoughts for them to weigh in on. This can be done when they finish their work or outside of school!

What books do you read with your class?


6 comments :

Amanda said...

Great book choices! I read Among the Hidden with my 5th graders several years ago. The whole series is wonderful. I will say I had some parents question the book (religious concerns) so just a heads up on that one, but my kids loved it and once I explained the book to parents everything was all good. I use Tiger Rising as a book club each year for my 4th graders - great story! And, we started by didn't finish City of Ember this year. We ran out of time - boo! I change my read alouds every year and base it on my class mostly. It's funny how some books work great for some classes and not so well with others. Lately, I have needed fast paced funny books. Other books I like for 4th grade are: Loser by Jerry Spinelli, Sister's Grimm (book 1) by Michael Buckley, and How to Steal A Dog by Barbara O'Connor.

Amanda
The Teaching Thief

Janaye said...

I haven't read any of those! I must share this post with my 4th grade friends!!

Janaye
Tales of Frogs and Cupcakes

Mrs. Shepherd said...

Great Read Aloud chapter books you have chosen. We are required to read The Lightening Thief with our 4th graders the first nine weeks, so that one is on my to do. I also love the Lemonade Wars, Because of Winn Dixie and Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing.

Erica
Shepherd's Shining Stars

Laura Kammerer said...

We just finished Number the Stars and the kids LOVED it! We did Wonder at the end of the school year, but due to the craziness of that time, we didn't complete it. And Ivan is our first book of the year to get them started on literature circles! LOVE it! I am interested in some of yours for sure!

Mrs. Miller said...

I am currently reading Wonder to my students, and they love it! I am planning to read The One and Only Ivan next. Another favorite is The BFG by Roald Dahl...just make sure you have fun voices for the BFG and other giants. I also love to read Joey Pigza Swallows the Key or There's a Boy in the Girls' Bathroom when I want students to have an understanding of ADHD. Jacob's Rescue, a true Holocaust survivor story is amazing. I read this when we are reading Number the Stars in lit circles. I like to start the year with Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing. The students love The Best Christmas Pageant Ever- my favorite December read-aloud. Read aloud time is a very favorite time of our day! I always love to see what other fourth grade teachers are reading. Thank you for sharing!

Anonymous said...

My 4th graders loved "The One and Only Ivan" as well as "How to Steal a Dog." We also read aloud "The Hundred Dresses" in the beginning of the year to build empathy/compassion for others. I am going to read Wonder aloud for the first time after our winter break.

Post a Comment