Friday, July 5, 2013

Organizing Weekly Papers

Don't you just hate it when kids lose their work? Or when you have to gather papers for students who have been absent? I have not been the best about this. In 2nd grade, I didn't worry about it too much, but I realized last year in 4th that I needed to work out a system.

I like to have the kids help me pass out papers, but I hated having them set the extras on my desk. I am a little OCD about having a clean desk... So I would end up passing the papers out instead. After I have taught the lesson and they are going to be completing some sort of paper and pencil activity, I would go through the process of passing the papers out, but I didn't have a good place to put the extras. 

Towards the end of the year, I would just make a stack on the absent students desk, but then I wouldn't follow through. I should have gone over, stacked them neatly, and stapled them together. Ugh. What usually happened was they kid would stuff all the papers in their desk, never to be seen again.

I hope I am not the only one with this problem...

Thankfully, I have a plan for this year. I saw this pin on Pinterest and knew it would help me solve this problem.



Here is my version:


I bought expanding file folders at WalMart and added the pretty days of the week. Easy!
Here are the days of the week labels if you want them.

When a student is out for the day, I will just place one of these on their desk that afternoon. It will be their responsibility (with prompting from me when necessary) to grab their work and complete it.

Click HERE to get these.

I can't wait to put these up in my classroom!

As always, email me for an editable version. Have a great day!


3 comments :

Lauren Copeland said...

Great idea! I am going from 2nd to 5th and fully recognize the difference in need of accountability :) Another method I use to cope with those absentee-ers is to create a job "Absentee Ally" (usually a quiet, responsible kiddo) who is in charge of snagging extra copies and organizing them in a folder. This student is responsible for explaining the missed work to the absentee kid.

LLauren
The Sweetest Thing
Follow me on Bloglovin'!

Ms.M from Teachingisagift said...

LOVE the idea. I always make extras, and I have students put "absent" folders on student desks, so that the extra student papers in theory go into the folder. BUT there is always an exception...ALWAYS. I like the idea of using those folders. I have some somewhere in my classroom I think! I am not sure where i would find the wall space to hang them, but I am going to work on it. I downloaded your super CUTE labels...thanks. While I am here...
I would like to invite you to come and link up with a special Back to School with Bloglovin LInky! http://teachingisagift.blogspot.ca/2013/07/back-to-school-with-bloglovin-blog-hop.html. While you are linking up, you can download a great freebie and enter to win your own personal laminator!
Sidney
Teachingisagift

Ruby said...

And then what happens to the papers after each week? After the school year? No matter which way we look at it, you’d be accumulating papers every so often. The only difference now is you have a storage system for support. Great idea! Ruby@Williams Data Management

Post a Comment