Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Reading & Writing Notebook


I have been thinking about how to structure our reading and writing notebooks all summer. With the help of Pinterest and several awesome bloggers, I have my notebook set up!

I am so happy to share this with you!

The very first thing you will see is a personalized page. I am not artistically inclined, so I made mine on the computer.


You can see the tabs on the side. I used card stock, glued them down, and reinforced them with tape.


I do pick up journals and "grade" them every other week or so. This just gives the kids some feedback, shows them that I am holding them accountable, and gives me some more grades in the grade book. :) (True story...)


This is a great idea I found through Pinterest on a blog called the Life and Times of a Third Grade Teacher. Go check her blog out, you won't be disappointed. I cut some cute card stock into a triangle, glued the outside edges down, and then reinforced the edges with tape. So easy and now they have a pocket to hold spare pieces of paper for each section. Genius!


The first section (10 pages) is reserved for their reading logs. The kids will have these pages to glue into their journals. The log is simple, just the title, genre, and a rating system. The genre codes come from the Genre at a Glance resource on the left. I found this at IBTeachNU Language Arts blog. You can go check it out if you want it!


The second section (about 50 pages) is for student writing. This is going to be the bulk of the notebook. They will be responding to their reading, writing from their hearts, and writing from prompts. I found the adjective lists at Create Teach Share. Go grab your freebie!

The third section (about 30 pages) is for notes we take during reading and writing lessons. This is the most nebulous of all the sections to me because I won't have a format for it. This will look different for every lesson.

The last section (10 pages) is reserved for words. I created these boxes for mini-word walls. I had a student last year with accommodations and one of them was a personalized word list. I loved that idea and kicked myself for not using it with all my kids all year long. So... we will have one this year. I am going to encourage kids to look up words instead of asking me and then record them here. I will also have students record vocabulary words here and difficult spelling words, too. At the end, I added some synonyms for nice, good, bad, sad, happy, like, said, and looked.

These notebooks will sit in student's book boxes instead of in their desks. I don't want the tabs to die a sudden death within a few weeks! This notebook is going to be utilized during our Daily 4, so it will need to be stored with their books.

Are you ready for your freebie?

You know I wouldn't show you all this and then not give you the resources, right?

:)



Click HERE to download the pdf. Email me for the editable copy!

What do you think? Do you use interactive notebooks in your classroom?

******Side note******

I have started my journey to becoming a cyclist. I DO NOT have the body type or the fitness level to be a cyclist yet, but I am working on it. I really want to be one of those cyclists you see all decked out, riding down the street with intensity! Anyway... I started last Monday. This was the first time I had been on a bike since elementary school. (I tend to be a lazy person.)

Here are my distances last week:
Monday - 3.89 miles
Tuesday - 4.21 miles
Wednesday - 4.29 miles
Thursday - 6.09 miles
Friday - 7.04 miles

WooHoo! I was so proud of myself!

Here are my distances for the last 3 days.
I am getting better every time! Although I did think I was going to keel over on Monday...

22 comments :

Suzy Q said...

COngrats on your biking goal...you are doing great!

Thank you so much for the notebook pages...I've been wanting to do something better than my system...which was to just stick everything into a folder. Second graders. Loose leaf. Disaster. I am interested in trying something better and this looks great!

Leaping into Teaching said...

Love these ideas! I have been toying with what to do next/this year. I will be in second grade for the first time after years in third and first, so I am thinking carefully about what to do. Love your example!

Christine

Leaping into Teaching

Raye said...

I am 99% sure that the genre checklist is Beth Newingham's. I have had a copy of that for years that she had on her site (and probably still does).

Love the notebook! Are you actually separating all of those spaces for every child? You are my hero if you are. Tedious :)

LOVE that pocket idea! I may have to totally steal it. How smart!

Lisa Bee (Grade 4 Buzz) said...

Great progress in one week! I once jumped on the cycling bandwagon but the skinny tires scared me. So back to a touring bike. :) Thanks so much for the freebie!
-Lisa
Grade 4 Buzz

Kristen said...

What a wonderful post, thank you for all of the information and files!!! I love the idea of the mini word wall in the back and will definitely be doing that, thank you so much!

Congrats on all of your cycling achievements, wow!

Laura said...

Aww, wow! I am soo in love with your notebooks! We've just started the 2nd semester 'down under' and I am diving into my first journaling/notebooking experience (starting with Maths) and loving it so much that it's starting to creep into reading and grammar too! I will definitely be looking into getting more organised next year - and I have YOU to look for inspiration for my next step!

Many thanks for sharing!!!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing!

Deb

Miss School Potato said...

Thank you for sharing! I've been brainstorming how to revamp my students' writing notebooks and will definitely be keeping your resources handy!

Alex
theschoolpotato.blogspot.com

4321Teach said...

Hi again!
Was checking out your blog and noticed this post about notebooks. I just sat through our training on reading and writing notebooks today. Workshops were new to my district last year but I have a long history of Balanced Literacy from my previous district. I love the way you sectioned off your notebooks and the amazing idea of using the card stock for folders. Might have to share that one! :)
Unfortunately, my district is going with a more consistent structure for 3-5. It only has two sections. The front for entries and then flip the notebook over and work from the back for note-taking. They got it from the Teachers College (which who am I to doubt them lol) but I am use to a similar setup to yours.
Long story short (or not lol) I love what you have done with yours and would totally use it if I could! :)
Thanks for sharing
Antoinette

Heather Haugen said...

Great notebook!

Heather Haugen

Christine said...

I have struggled with the best way to set up lang arts journals. I love this format and thank you for sharing the freebie!

ferdy irawan said...

ASSALAMU ALAIKUM WR-WB KAMI SEKELUARGA MENGUCAPKAN BANYAK TERIMAH KASIH ATAS BANTUAN AKI,RUSLAN KARNA NOMOR GHOIB/RITUAL JITU YANG AKI,BERIKAN 4D (8301) BENAR BENAR TEMBUS 100% DAN SAYA MEMENANGKAN 380 JUTA ALHAMDULILLAH, SAYA BISA MEMBELI RUMAH DAN MOBIL WALAUPUN SAYA CUMA PNS GOLONGAN 1B.INI ADALAH KISAH NYATA DARI SAYA.JIKA ANDA PENUH KEPERCAYAAN DAN KEYAKINAN SILAHKAN ANDA HUBUNGI LANGSUNG AKI, RUSLAN SALEH KARENA APAPUN KEADAAN ANDA JANGAN PERNAH BERPUTUS ASAH KALAU SUDAH WAKTUNYA TUHAN PASTI KASIH JALAN.

JIKA ANDA BUTUH ANGKA RITUAL 2D 3D 4D DI JAMIN 100% JEBOL ATAU PUNYA MUSTIKA GHAIB INGIN DIPAKAI MENARIK UANG BILAH BERMINAT HUB KI RUSLAN SALEH DI NMR (_+_6_2_8_1_2_4_3_4_7_7_4_5_5_) ATAU KUNJUNGI WEPSITE (KLIK)www.penarikan-uang-ghaib.webs.com SAYA SUDAH BUKTIKAN 3X THNKS ROOMX SOBAT
★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
╔══╗═════╔╗═════
╚╗╔╬═╦═╦═╣╠╦╦╦╦╗
═║║║╩╣║║╬║═╣║║║║
═╚╝╚═╩╩╬╗╠╩╬╗╠═╝
═══════╚═╝═╚═╝══
★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Mrs. Cockrell said...

Seriously. My new hero. THANK YOU! :)

-Gayla
Teach On.

Kristen Parham said...

Would love to get the editable copy of this if possible! Love the organization!

Cindy Keefe said...

Please send me the editable copy. I love your ideas and the fact that you are sharing. I hope to have things to share as I get going this year.

Jacquie Leighton said...

Thank you! I am planning to borrow the pocket idea, the portable word wall and the Reading Log. We use binders and plastic sleeves but sure do love your WN organization. Bless you for sharing.

Andrea said...

Can you please send me the editable copy of this :)? Thank you so much. I think this is awesome. Also if you could stop by and like and follow my blog, I am new to the blogging community :)

Paula Mooney said...

Love your notebooks! Thanks for the wonderful freebie. Would you please send me an editable version? Thanks, Paula paulamooney@cogeco.ca

Unknown said...

This is awesome! Thank you so much for providing this freebie! Can you please send me the editable version? Thanks you! mmattice621@aol.com

Anne Matson said...

This is a great idea. I would love to use it. If it isn't too late I would love an editable version. Thanks. amatson102@gmail.com

Trish Harvie said...

Thanks for sharing this amazing resource. If possible, can you please send me the editable version? Thanks so much! tharvie@comcast.net

Trish Harvie said...

Thanks for sharing this amazing resource. If possible, can you please send me the editable version? Thanks so much! tharvie@comcast.net

Post a Comment