Thursday, July 4, 2013

Throwback Thursday Linky

Hey guys!

I am linking up with Mrs. Carroll over at the First Grade Parade for a quick post.


***This was originally posted on Aug. 8, 2012. If you would like the pdf or ppt files, email me!


All summer I have been thinking about my lesson plan format. Did I want to make my own?

Buy one online?

Just use one from Mardel like I have done in the past?
I really like this cover. I wanted it, but the inside was way to generic.

Keep one online? Our curriculum has an online planner. I did that for a year, but I am not completely sold on it.

I just wasn't sure. I played around with making my own in Excel and PowerPoint. I really didn't have much luck.

Normally I really like to have a weekly planner that also has all my specials, lunch, and pe on it, but I have been thinking lately that it just feels cluttered with all that information on there. I get a little overwhelmed.

So I decided to make my own in PowerPoint. I love PowerPoint. I can do anything with it. ♥♥♥

So here is my plan:
  • 1/2 inch binder with clear inserts
  • Print my own template
  • Place my schedule as the very first page
Now this does a few good things for me.
  1. I will be able to personalize the cover. Love it!
  2. I will have pockets and the option to add things by hole punching.
  3. It is more durable than other planners.
  4. I am always sticking extra papers into the back of my planner, now I will have space for those papers.
So here it is...

These are the backgrounds:


My thinking was that every six weeks would have a different color per week. So every first week of the six weeks would be yellow. Every second week of the six weeks would be teal, and so on. Just another way to remind myself of where we are in the six weeks.

This sort of works. I was looking at our school calendar and saw a few glitches. We are supposed to have 6 sets of 6 weeks in our school year, but because of holidays it doesn't work out that way. Here is the breakdown:
  1. 6 weeks
  2. 5 weeks
  3. 6 weeks 2 days
  4. 6 weeks 2 days
  5. 6 weeks
  6. 8 weeks (this is brutal at the end of the year)
I was also inspired by another blogger who has a checklist of things to do everyday before she goes home to make the next morning run smoother. I knew I had to do that, so that is why I have a checklist on my lesson planner for every day.


I am going to work on spreading out my lesson planning and prepping materials throughout the week. That way I do not have to work so hard on the weekends and I get my lesson plans turned in on time!


My binder!
Here is my template for anyone who wants it. As always, it is free. If you want the original version so you can tweak the checklist or anything else, just email me at rmorris at mesquiteisd dot com. I will be able to respond faster if you email me instead of leaving a comment.

**There is a blank page first in the document because I sent this to Office Max to be printed. This way the pages printed correctly to be opened as a spread.



4 comments :

Lauren Copeland said...

I couldn't agree more about the morning checklist! There are so many things to do each afternoon/morning that a list just makes it plain brainless. I included the checklist on the side of my lesson plan template. I also made one for the beginning/ending of each week and month.

Lauren
The Sweetest Thing

Rebecca said...

Love it! Thanks for sharing this again with us! Stop by for my Throwback Thursday post plus a FREEBIE!

Waving from The Teacher's Chatterbox,
Rebecca

Sherry said...

Thank you so much for sharing this. I love it. I tried to download it but I am not a scribd member so it wouldn't let me download it. I also tried emailing like you suggested but the email was sent back. Could I get the template some other way?

Nancy Wilson said...

I love it! I will email you...hopefully it goes through after reading Sherry's comment!
Thanks,
Nancy
The Apple Basket Teacher

Post a Comment