Saturday, August 10, 2013

Math Notebook - Bar Graphs

Well, the beginning of the year is creeping closer every day, so I have been productive. I have the first 2 units ready to go in my "teacher" notebook. I want to share the unit on bar graphs with you today.

I am not sure why we start with bar graphs, but we do.

Yesterday I shared my math journal set up. If you missed it, you can see it HERE.

So I have packed quite a few activities onto a few pages of our notebook.


Day 1: We will discuss and highlight the labels for page 1. Then we will talk about the steps in reading and answering a bar graph question. This will be on the first day of school, so I am keeping it short.


Day 2: Our class will pop in the other 4th grade classes to gather some data on favorite desserts. Then we will graph our results on page 2. We will do the first one as a class, I will help them set up their second graph and they will fill in the information with their group.

We will also work on page 3 of our journal. They need to hear the higher order thinking questions as soon as possible. I have also included a QR code to a video describing double bar graphs. This will be for review later on when we have our iPads.

Day 3: We will complete the graphs and questions on page 4 along with a QR code activity. (below)

Day 4: We will work on pages 5 and 6 in our notebooks. The blank graph on page 6 will be an assessment. Either we will gather data in our class for them to use, they can use leftover data from the favorite dessert activity, or they can make it up.

Day 5: This will be more of a worksheet practice day. Ugh. I hate that, but it is a necessary evil.

Nothing too fancy, but I think it will anchor our learning. We will use our textbook and a few other resources in class. There are some great games online that I will have them play when we go to the computer lab.

So, there you go!


Click HERE to download all the notebook resources!



Click HERE to go to the post where you can download the QR activities.

My next unit is place value. I will post about that next week!

Let me know what you think about my bar graph unit!

9 comments :

ckean said...

Thank you so much for sharing. I start my year with bar graphs. I have been gathering resources for doing interactive notebooks on math.

Krystyn Richards said...

Thank you for sharing for Math Notebooks. We will be starting Math Notebooks next year. I am still trying to figure out what to put in the binders and how to organize them. I look forward to see what you do for Place Value. We start with Place Value the 2nd week of school.


Krystyn
Ms Richards's Musings

Angie said...

These look great thank you for sharing!!! I'm looking forward to your place value post.

Anonymous said...

I love everything. I have been struggling teaching math this year. My team teaches with a mound of worksheets each day. (8 a day in math alone). WOW!! TOO MANY!!!! I have been searching for alternatives and I love note booking so I was so glad to find your posts. Wonderful ideas. Thanks for being so generous.

Anonymous said...

This is great! Would you be able to send me a link to access this? My info is smithteacher09@gmail.com Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Looks great but can't access download. If possible can you send to hay-hen@bigpond.net.au
Many thanks, fabulous work.

Anonymous said...

I was so excited to use these materials to kick off bar graphs next week, but the file will no longer open. I am wondering if you would be willing to either share them with me or show me where I might be able to purchase them. If you share them, I would be happy to post a link about this resource on my facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/NumberTwoPencils?ref=br_tf If you are willing to share please email them to kanecara@live.com

Teresa Rodrigues said...

This is great! Would you be able to send me a link to access this?
my adress mteresaerodrigues@gmail.com Thanks

Sandra Pan said...

Love this work! Would you able to send the notebook resources?

Post a Comment