Friday, August 9, 2013

Math Notebook - Set up

I am starting to shift my focus from decorating to lesson planning. 

Lesson planning is not as fun... Oh well.


I have decided to step up my math notebooks this year, so I have been planning. I really want to tackle our math notebooks (the planning process) unit by unit. This gives me a broader perspective. Now that I have a year under my belt, I know where they need to be in the spring. This knowledge is really influencing my planning. Last year I "knew" what they needed to know because I knew the TEKS, but I didn't have a working knowledge of the types of questions and level of understanding my students would need.

So when I sat down and began planning out our notebooks, I wanted to keep a few things in mind.
  1. How do I want the kids to decorate their covers to personalize it?
  2. How detailed do I want the Table of Contents to be?
  3. Will I follow the customary notebooking rules?
  4. Where will I give the students feedback on their notebooks?
  5. How will I "grade" these?
  6. How should they be organized?
I do want my kids to personalize their notebook covers. This is a great beginning of the year activity. I found these awesome content area coloring pages that will be perfect for their covers! Go check them out.


I will also be adding duct tape to the spines for extra reinforcement and to color code. This makes it easier for students to grab the correct notebook out of their desks.

Now on to the inside...


I am not artistically inclined, so I made the "My Numbers" page on the computer.


My kids last year loved reading my comments. They would get their notebook from me and read the comments on the way back to their seat. 


I will try to remember to find my math chart from last year. It is covered in math information. I had my kids practice adding the information to this sheet. We will be focusing more on it in the fall this year, than we did last year.


HERE is your copy of the pages if you want them!

So, nothing too special, but I do think they are going to be very organized!

I will be posting my first unit, Bar Graphs, tomorrow!
With freebies, of course!

16 comments :

AMC Looking From Third to Fourth said...

Thanks so much for the link to the doodle art pages and your pages too. I really like the rubric and had not been thinking about that when I was planning my notebooks - thank you!!!

Andrew Sielaff said...

This is a great post with great ideas! I love the table of contents page, and the "my numbers" page. And the rubric! Awesome! Thank you!
Ann
The Caffeinated Classroom

Lisa Bee said...

You have really been thinking this through! Great idea to put coloured duct tape on the spine! I'm going to copy you. I like your numbers page!
-Lisa
Grade 4 Buzz

Markisha said...

Thanks for this post and these resources. I would love to do the notebooks this year. Is there any other helpful information you can suggest to someone just getting started doing this?

megbowers said...

Thank you so much!

This was extremely helpful!

Miss Hutchinson said...

I absolutely love this!!! I'm totally going to use this in my classroom. I tried to click on the link for a copy of the pages, but a message came up saying that the link has been disable. Could you please send them to me? My e-mail is ghutchinson@kgcs.k12.va.us. Thank you!

Nerland Jeanniton said...

I've always wanted to use Math Notebooks in my classroom. Your post has inspired me to give them a try this year. When I clicked on the link, this message appeared. "Access to this link has been disabled. Please ask the owner of the shared link to send a new link to access the file or the folder." Could you please email me the link at nera050@gmail.com. Thank you.

Heather Brannan said...

I would love to be able to access the link as well...my email address is hetammaro@hotmail.com!! Great information! Thank you so much!

Anonymous said...

This is great! Would you be able to send me a link to access this? My info is smithteacher09@gmail.com Thank you!

Mumtaz Najeeb said...

I am going back to the classroom from being a resource teacher. This is great!! Could you please email me the link @ frostynajeeb@gmail.com
Thank You!

Nichole Fisher said...

Can you email me the post? I would love to use it this year. My email is threeboyz32@gmail.com

Sheila Williams said...

The link to the pages for the notebook doesn't work. Can you possibly email me the pages?
Thanks,
Love your ideas

Anonymous said...

Hi! I was also interested in the math notebook pages, especially the rubric pages. If you could email me at jennifer.speers@gvsd.ca that would be fantastic. Thanks!

Adrienne Holmes-Cleckley said...

Super Cute & Super Creative! Will you please send my a copy of the pages? I'm anxious to start Math Notebooks with my kids this year. Thanks in advance and have a great school year! smilesalot77@hotmail.com

Mrs. Matias said...

You pages link won't work, can you please email me the documents melissa.matias12@gmail.com

Elizabeth Colbert said...

I would LOVE the documents too..pretty please! ebethteach@gmail.com

Post a Comment