Thursday, August 22, 2013

Meet the Teacher Night!

We had Meet the Teacher/Drop off school supplies this evening. 

It was a great success. I had more than half my class come see me! That is a big improvement over last year.

I am really excited about this school year. From what I can tell, I have a great group.

:)

I didn't do a lot to prepare for tonight, but I will share what I did.


Step 1: Sign in sheet
We have to turn this in every year. The yellow paper is for students to order school shirts.
I printed the popcorn labels from Jodi @ Fun in First.
They were perfect. I already had the left over popcorn from last year, so I used that!


Step 2: Student Info Forms
We all want to gather information about our students at the beginning of the year. I am trying to reduce the amount of paper I have to keep track of (lose) during the year, so I decided to create a Google form. 


It worked so well! Now I have all the information in a spreadsheet that I didn't have to format!!!


Step 3: Choose a seat
I let students choose their seat for the first day of school. The first day is when we get to know each other. I make a seating chart that afternoon and students find their more permanent seat the second day of school. I learn something about the kids from where they decided to sit when it is up to them. It is funny to hear the conversations they have with their parents or siblings as they are choosing a seat.  :)

This was also a quick visual for me to see who wasn't here.


Step 4: Set school supplies on your desk
I will be going through the supplies that were brought tomorrow. That way I will have at least half the supplies ready to go for the first day of school. I just want to do an inventory of the supplies brought so I can send home notes about what is still needed.

Nothing fancy.

I did have classical music playing on my computer and a power point presentation running. I just filled in Kristen's Open House ppt. You can get it HERE!


Fun, fun. The year is beginning.
I think it is going to be a good one.

9 comments :

K. Mo said...

LOVE the Google Docs idea! That is so smart!! I may have to steal that!

❤ Karen
flamingofab@gmail.com
Flamingo Fabulous in Second Grade

Teacher and Life Long Learner said...

Yes, I love the Docs idea as well! Wonderful job :-)

Raye said...

Super cute! I love those frames. What a great idea.

Krystyn Richards said...

I LOVE the Google Doc idea too! I wish I would have thought of that before I made all those copies. Next year maybe. I also like letting the kids pick their spot. I might have to try that as well.


Krystyn
Ms Richards's Musings

Jason Whitaker said...

I like it! I wish I could ensure I'd have good participation on our Meet and Greet night. For ours I didn't have anyone show up. :-( Have a great school year!

Grace said...

Wow! I'm a sub, and all the schools I've been to have had nothing like a meet and greet where the parents work as a team with the teacher!

This is a great, inspirational blog for me to find.

Carmen Scalise said...

I love this idea! Did you have any parents refuse to do it on the computer for privacy? I had some very upset when I asked them to fill out information...

Lila Hranitzky said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

How is the google doc formatted after they type in the information? Is it automated or do you just copy and paste?

Post a Comment