Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Planning for a personal narrative

And so our writing journey begins...


I began by modeling how to "picture" plan for a personal narrative. The day before I gave them the prompt: Write about your favorite outdoor activity. I gave them 30 minutes to write. I wanted to see what they could do in terms of beginning, middle, end and grammar.

Let's just say we have some work to do.

That is pretty normal, though.


I really want our writing time this year to be engaging and useful. Every time they get to draw something, it is a treat, so I decided to take advantage of that.

**Disclaimer: This is not a great, original idea. I haven't seen it verbatim this way, but it isn't anything special.


I modeled how to set up the paper, where to put the prompt/main idea, and talked my way through my story as I added my pictures.

The kids immediately started to make connections/suggestions when I paused. I purposefully stopped and "struggled" with what to write/draw. I want my kids to see me cross things out and make mistakes this year. I feel like they get an unrealistic view of writing when I don't show them the starts and stops of the real writing process.

They really got into this activity. We are going to expound on their plan this coming week.

Tuesday: starting a personal narrative with a POW!
Wednesday: writing the beginning of the story
Thursday: writing the middle of the story
Friday: writing the end of the story

I will model with my own story, they will share their part with a partner by talking it out, and then they will put it on paper.


I will share some of their stories when they are finished!

2 comments :

Jamie knefely said...

Looks like they have some great ideas. So far so good!

Jamie
teachingtidbit.blogspot.com

Tidbits From Ms. Pitts said...

Love it! I will have to try this out in my 2nd grade classroom. Thanks for the tip!

Ms. Pitts
mspitts2ndgraders.blogspot.com

Post a Comment