Monday, February 10, 2014

Homework, Homework, Homework

The never ending battle of school vs. home. Not fun.

I have said it before and I will say it again. I don't like homework.

But... I have to assign it.

This year my homework routine has been as follows:

Monday & Wednesday: read for 30 minutes and write a response
Tuesday & Thursday: math practice & spelling practice

Not bad. I feel like I have had more success with this than any other year. Plus, I have seen real growth in their writing abilities. (Which is always a wonderful thing!)

It is time for a change, though. As I was perusing my Bloglovin' page, I came across this post by Emily Kissner at In My Classroom: The Forest and the Trees. First of all, I love her posts. There are some great writing ideas on her blog! At the bottom of this post about combining sentences, which is something that 4th graders struggle with, I noticed that she mentioned her February homework is ready. So I clicked on the link and...


this is what I saw!

So let me just tell you that I don't buy many things on Teachers Pay Teachers. It is a wonderful site and I visit often, but normally I just download the free resources. I just don't have the money to spend on paper activities. (Even though I could spend a fortune...) I immediately went and got by debit card out of my purse and purchased this pack.

Oh wow. Just wow. It is fabulous! I handed out the packet with an information sheet on top this afternoon. The kids were excited about doing something new and they were happy to hear they had a full week to complete the activities.

To supplement the weekly stories, I am creating ThingLinks with more information. Since we have 1:1 iPads, I wanted to provide another way for the kids to learn and build their knowledge base and vocabulary with their homework packet.

Here is the ThingLink for this week:



Have a great night!

0 comments :

Post a Comment