Sunday, June 29, 2014

Book Study Notice & Note - Part 7 & 8

I got a little behind the group this last week...

Between summer school in the morning and VBS at night, I just didn't have time! Oh summer! So this is a two-in-one post.


Anchor Questions


Have you ever had a "Duh." moment as you were reading a professional development book? Well, it just happened to me.

I have been struggling in my reading instruction to get the students to think about their texts. Now I see that I was just encouraging them to depend on me. I wasn't sure how to go about asking questions. I would ask the questions. It is something we are trained and highly encouraged to do. I have gone to several staff developments on higher level questioning, but until the kids are asking the questions we aren't gaining any ground.

I am so excited that this text is going to show me how to get my kids to notice changes in their texts and then what questions they need to ask themselves and answer. I am really getting excited about this!

The Role of Generalizable Language

This section made a great point. We need to give student the general language to deal with all texts, rather than something that only pertains to the text on hand. I have to say that I haven't done a good job with this in the past. Now that it has been pointed out, I get it.

We need to use the signposts and the anchor questions as general language that can be used with any text.




Our Generalizable Language

You can find some great resources HERE!

Explaining the Signposts

I loved reading through the Classroom Close-up on pages 90-93! These authors know how to write an engaging book.

They did make an important distinction in this section when they talked about explaining the signposts to our students. "Not everything should be taught in seven to twelve minutes. reviews should be mini lessons. Introducing new concepts, well, that requires time. You'll need about thirty to forty minutes for the model lessons we've provided." pg. 87


It's getting good guys!

0 comments :

Post a Comment