Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Google Docs - Part 2


Last year's version

These are examples of what my spreadsheet looked like at the end of the year. I would input each student's grades on our district level tests so I could see trends. These were taken over the course of the entire year. We have tests every three weeks. (Excessive? Yes.)

Color coding (because I just can't help myself)
     Green - Commended or Advanced 85+
     White - Passing 70-84
     Yellow - Almost passing 60-69
     Red - Struggling lower than 59



We also use iStation as a documentation tool and an intervention tool, so I kept a record of their overall reading scores. Again with the color coding. Green is Tier 1, Yellow is Tier 2, and Red is Tier 3. I am pretty happy with our progress over the year! I have noticed a trend over the last 3 years. My kids always score the highest in December. I don't really know why that is. Maybe because they aren't tested to death at the point in the year? Maybe it is because we all enjoy the fall more than the spring? Not sure. If you have any ideas, please share!


Next year's version


We are keeping the same testing schedule, that is testing every 3 weeks, so I went ahead and made my Checkpoint tab. I have a place for math, reading, writing, 4 Social Studies, 3 Science, and ISIP every month.

I also kept a tab last year for STAAR accommodations. Those accommodations had to be met in class and during all our testing, so it was important that I have easy access to that information. (I have already enumerated my difficulty with keeping up with paper copies.) I can't share that one with you due to privacy laws, but here is my blank one for next year.


Things like extra time, a dictionary, read aloud, and using a math folder are things that have ARD paperwork and have to be provided to certain students. Using a whisper phone and testing in a small group are accommodations we can give any student who needs them.

Teaming and sharing grades

So I will be team teaching with another 4th grade teacher next year and I am beyond excited!!!! I will be teaching math and social studies to both our classes. She will teach reading and science to both. We will each teach writing and spelling to our homeroom group. One of the things we have been thinking about is how we will get grades to each other.

I don't know right now if we are going to have access to the other teacher's students in our online grade book. That would be the easiest solution. We won't know about that until the beginning of the year, so here is my plan as of now.

We will assign each class a letter. For example, my class might be Class A and hers Class B. Then each student will have a number. We will create a shared Google Spreadsheet with 2 tabs. One for Class A and one for Class B. We will just list the numbers down the left hand column, input the name of the assignment across the top, and enter each student's grades. That way we can access our homeroom student's grades for the subjects we don't teach.

Let's just say I hope we can use the grade book!

What do you think of Google Docs? Do you prefer Evernote?

Part 3 will cover parent communication records.

2 comments :

Teacher and Life Long Learner said...

I am a big supporter of Google Docs. I look forward to seeing how you use it for parent communication records. Smiles and stop by anytime!

Michelle Bingham said...

I love all of your ideas! I tried using Evernonte a little bit this year, but I don't think i dedicated enough time to it to make it effective. I have been using Google docs much longer and I'm more familiar with it and it's much more efficient since our district has it as well and I can share files and folders with other staff. Thanks for sharing the awesome posts, I'm jotting down some ideas for next year. :)

Michelle
Miss, Hey Miss

Post a Comment