Sunday, June 15, 2014

Teaching Kids to Sincerely Apologize

I read this blog post a few weeks ago. Go check it out because this isn't my idea.


How do you feel about requiring kids to apologize to each other? What about forgiveness? Do you make them forgive each other? Doesn't sound so hollow when we do that?

Are we teaching them something good or bad when we do that?

I have been pondering that since I read the article I mentioned above. You should really read it.

I am looking forward to doing this with my class and even in my life. These 4 steps really make you think about what you did, why it hurt the other person's feelings, how you will act differently in the future, and asks the other person to forgive you. I also agree when she says that you shouldn't force kids to forgive each other.

I want to give kids a way to work things out with each other. I hate that so many of them don't or won't think through what they did and realize why it hurt someone else.


Do you have something like this that you teach your students or kids?

You can download my signs for free HERE.

3 comments :

Mrs. Jones said...

I love this too. I read the same post and felt it was a must for my classroom this year, then I shared the post with several colleagues. Thanks for the poster freebie!
Sarah :)

Amanda said...

Thanks for the link to the original blog post. It's true. You absolutely need to teach kids how to apologize. I like this format and love your signs. I want to incorporate this into my morning meetings next year. Great resource, thanks! - Amanda

Chrissy said...

Thanks for the poster freebies. I love the idea for teaching kids how to apologize. I'll definitely have this posted in my room next year.
First Grade Found Me

Post a Comment