Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Book Study Notice & Note Part 9

Assessment and the Signposts

The author's are not talking about standardized testing in this section (thank goodness), they are focused on more informal assessment like listening to students talking, reading their responses, and then how it all stacks up with the CCSS. (Since I teach in Texas, I don't have to worry about the CCSS.)

I love an idea that one of the cooperating teachers used. She called it the "Our Talk" area of the room. The kids would go there during the reading discussions to record a conversation. The teacher could then share it with the class or parents. I am definitely stealing this! All my kids will have an iPad, which just so happens to be great at recording!

I loved reading what the kids had to say as they learned to spot and think about the signposts. Here was my favorite. A teenage boy was asked to reflect on using the signposts.


I am so glad he can make those connections, but sad that he made it to 10th grade before it happened.

The authors make another valid point. Don't just let kids find the signposts. The most important part is asking themselves the question and answering it.


Also, I just have to say that I LOVE the classroom close-up sections in this book. As a teacher, it is extremely helpful for me to see or read how another teacher has taught something. We don't get to leave our room and observe other teachers very often, so this is a great way to peek into another classroom and learn!

Questions You Might Have

This section was just clarifying some questions about the Notice and Note strategies. This is a great section to bookmark and go back to during the school year.

There are some Reading Logs out there for you to download, but I wanted to make a post it version. I am thinking that I want my kids to write their notes on post it and once a week, I will pass out this log. They will record the page number as they take the post it note from their book and put it on the log.


You can get a copy for free HERE!


Happy reading!

0 comments :

Post a Comment