Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Grammar Cheat Sheet

Click on the picture to download.
I was lucky enough to attend a Gretchen Bernabei Writing Workshop last week. I feel like I learned so much about who to break writing down into manageable pieces for my students!

I think I am pretty good at breaking math down into the basics. There are plenty of steps to follow and I feel like it is just a process to getting kids where they need to be. I have been wanting to know how to do that with writing.

I have a confession to make.

I am not a good grammar teacher. 

Sad day.

Gretchen Bernabei gave me some tools to help me be a better teacher and my kids better writers.

You should definitely check out her website and blog. She posts all kinds of free resources. Her chart is posted there, so I felt like I could share my version with you guys. I took a few things off that we really don't need in 4th grade and made the boxes a little larger to accommodate kids with large or sloppy handwriting.

We will be taping this onto the inside of the back cover of our Grammar journals.

This chart is for the proof kids will write to help them write correctly. Here are some examples of journal entries. We did these during the workshop.


She teaches grammar mini-lessons every day. Then challenges her students to use the proof in their writing. I can't wait to do this with my kids. Here is a list of all the proof she teaches kids.


This is a great way to teach kids to figure out if something is a complete sentence. I will be using this without a doubt! I have been a broken record just asking kids, "Is that a complete thought?" That doesn't really help, but I didn't really know what else to do. Pitiful, I know.



My grammar instruction is going to rock this year!!!
What do you think? Would you use any of this?

3 comments :

trav4adventures said...

I teach 3rd grade and believe me, apostrophes are one item they just do NOT understand! And, their, there, and they're. I've even explained it to them in Spanish! Oye! I'm still looking for ideas, but I like your pages on apostrophes and I'll try that this year! I really want to do interactive journals with them.
Cheryl Ann

Pat's Paper Passion said...

Thanks

trav4adventures said...

Do you have a form for the grammar chart? I'd like to make one for third grade, but it wouldn't need as many boxes. I could always do a hand-drawn one, but a typed form would be neater...
Thanks!
Cheryl Ann

Post a Comment